Another Talon Install Question...

ANOTHER QUESTION:

Should the top of the Talon ELBOW be even with the top of the jackplate, or higher? Right now, I have the ELBOW the same height as the inner jackplate bar and both of these are probably 2" higher than the actual body of the jackplate.

Thanks,
    Keith
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

I was always told to mount everything as high as possible to minimize drag on holeshot. I have my mount as high as it will go on the jackplate, my arm as high as it will go on the mount and the talon as high as it will go in the slots. With everything mounted as high as possible my 8 ft talon will hold when my depth finder says 7.4ft. My transducer is probably close to 1 ft under water so in reality I am holding in just over 8 ft of water.

3. Member
    Each inner (vertical) jackplate bar has two threaded holes which accept the Talon ELBOW bolts. Upon further inspection of the inner vertical jackplate bars, the two threaded holes in each bar are not equidistant to their respective ends of the bar. I must have turned the bar on the port side upside down. Anyway, now, the inner bars are even with the top of the jackplate and the Talon ELBOWs stick up a couple of inches higher than the top of the jackplate. I decided to get and extra pair of hands before trying to slide the Talons into the mounting brackets.

4. Member
    My talons are mounted as high as possible and as close to the transom as possible. I have moved them several times and on MY boat this works best. Champ 200 elite

5. Member
    Mount them as high as possible. That should put the elbows above your plate a little

6. Member
    Yes Kry29. That's how they ended up! I just have to wire them now.

7. Banned
    Best thing is start high. Note where it is with full load and you go from there. It is movable so you don't have to worry about getting it perfect right off.