2017 Highlander towing Ranger Z519 Single Axle Trailer

Current 2017 highlander has the tow package with the flat 4 pin connector. However do believe my new rangertrail will come with a 7 pin.

Couple of questions.

What do I need to connect the 4 pin to the 7 pin? I see an adapter I can use that connects to the flat 4 pin connector but has 3 additional wires to connect. Where and what do I connect these extra wires to?

4 to 7 connector found here:
    https://www.etrailer.com/p-30717.html

or this straight adapter
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C79CSF2...c-17e2d0adc68e

Do I need to ensure any additional connection to the trailer beyond what is through the 4 prong connector? Such as a wire that is activated by back up lights that releases the brakes when in reverse?

I will be backing up my boat up an incline into my garage so I want to make sure the brakes don’t activate as I push it uphill.

Posted in Ranger section as well but worried that it might belong more in this forum. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by BoilermakerRT178; 01-13-2019 at 12:12 AM.

You will need to get the 5th wire hooked up to your Highlander. The 5th wire (Blue) is for the brakes, and releases the trailer brakes when backing. Our Highlander also had the 4 wire flat connection, when it came in the dealer installed a separate wiring harness that had the 5 wire flat connection. It's mounted directly below the 4 wire connection, so now we have both. My 4Runner has the round 7 pin connector, so I just use an adapter like the one you posted, I don't know why Toyota doesn't offer the round 7 pin or even a flat 5 connector on the Highlander.

Go to Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, E Trailer, etc & get a 7 pin (round) plug with the 5 pin flat adapter. This can be used with a 4 or 5 flat plug, don't need two separate plugs. Or google...7 pin round towing plug with 5 pin flat adapter & you'll get the picture. This will fit any ( yours ) 7 round plug in the bumper ( or body) of any make vehicle. Does not have to be Toyota, Ford, Chevy, etc.

Oops........disregard. You have the old 4 pin on that Toyo. Might check to see if they have a 5 pin conversion for that model though otherwise it's as Coke said.
    Last edited by tracer1; 01-15-2019 at 07:51 AM.

4. Member
    It is relatively easy to install/replace the 4 pin with a 5 pin if you don’t mind doing some basic electrical cutting and splicing. The fifth wire is just wired in to your backup lights. A dealer shouldn’t charge more than an hour of shop time plus parts if you go that route.

To your other question, the remaining 2 wires in the seven pin connector on the Ranger trailer are not used. Normally for something large, like a RV, one is for backup lights on the trailer and the other is for 12 volt power.

Now, on the new project boat I have a 4 pin trailer with a manual reverse lockout via a lockout pin. Hate it. Want to change the actuator to a 5 pin model with an electroic lock out. A whole other scenario :)