Question Fuel leak in my 250 G2 today

While fishing a tournament today, my coangler noticed gas dripping out from under my cowling around 11 and into the water as we trolled along. The motor ran great up until that point and once I tried starting it it was over revving and ran at a rough idle. After multiple times stopping on me, waiting and restarting I made it back to the ramp. When I got home, I removed the cowling, powered up my Ranger keypad and gas was seen spewing under the gasket of the fuel filter. I noticed the lip of the forward part of the gasket sticking out and this is where the gas was spraying out. I recently had work done on it with a fuel sensor issue and I assume they didn’t seat that gasket properly as I assume it is supposed to be symmetrical all the way around without a lip protruding. I don’t know why the engine ran flawlessly my last 3 outings before this, but I know crap seems to always happen on tournament day!!
    Could the filter not have been seated properly and just worked it’s way loose? Was the rough running after this due to the engine being starved for fuel or was excess air getting in with the leak also? It was almost as if the engine was being choked. If I attempted to give it any throttle it was sputter and then shut off unless I backed off to idle.
    Any thoughts are appreciated!

2. Member
    To add to my post, I am assuming the white, round plastic device with the fuel lines running into it on the starboard side of the engine is a fuel filter? The front of the canister where the lip of the gasket is protruding is where the leak is. I tried to post a picture, but the file is too large.

The small one is the inline fuel filter and the larger one is the fuel water separator

1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

4. Member
    What is the serial number? With the serial number a dealer can check to see if BRP has issued any updates to your fuel system.

The gasket stick out most likely is from the filter being over tightened. Once the filter contacts the housing it should be tightened an additional 2/3 turn, any more then that it is overtight and over time can warp the housing.

The filter and housing should be replaced and will most likely be covered by warranty.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evinrude57 View Post
    What is the serial number? With the serial number a dealer can check to see if BRP has issued any updates to your fuel system.

The gasket stick out most likely is from the filter being over tightened. Once the filter contacts the housing it should be tightened an additional 2/3 turn, any more then that it is overtight and over time can warp the housing.

The filter and housing should be replaced and will most likely be covered by warranty.
    Yep.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Contact your dealer about service bulletin NO. 2018-02(W) if your serial number range is between 5497772 through 5506996.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

7. Member
    Thanks for your comments. The engine is in today for servicing. I mentioned the service bulletin to him and he said that wasn’t there in November when the boat was in for fuel sensor issues. He said they also didn’t remove it or reinstall it when they were dealing with the sensor problem. It was a dangerous situation with it on the water spraying out all the gas inside the engine.

8. Member
    Apparently my engine had already had the assembly replaced once by the former owner before it failed on me. Evinrude said they have had a few of the replaced assemblies fail and they have an updated part now. If anyone is interested, the new part number is 5011045.

Filter and hsg ay, fuel
    What’s that and where is it
    Don’t see it on any of the part diagrams

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I believe it is item #26 although that is the down level part number for it. http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx..._id=0&siteid=1

26 is the fuel inlet connector. 28 maybe? On the 03-3 page? Fuel filter, pumps, vapor separator page?

I thought he was talking about the gasket on the fuel vapor separator. I don’t think the inline filter has a gasket. If so, it’s contained within the part and not serviceable. I don’t know. I was just curious and thought a better description of which part was leaking might help others later down the road.

Or maybe it was the big boy fuel reservoir pump assembly. Previous part number 5009838. The $650 dollar part.

13. Member
    The part that was leaking was the larger white vertical fuel filter/water separator and the gasket in mine was protruding out on the bow side (right side) of the filter. This is where the fuel was spraying out (a lot) when the engine was powered up. The G2 engines that this was a problem in fall between the serial numbers 5497772-5506996, Service Bulletin OE 2018-02(w). Evidently the filters were tightened too much at the factory and it warped the gasket. I'm not sure why it took about 85 hours to show up in mine.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    26 is the fuel inlet connector. 28 maybe? On the 03-3 page? Fuel filter, pumps, vapor separator page?

I thought he was talking about the gasket on the fuel vapor separator. I don’t think the inline filter has a gasket. If so, it’s contained within the part and not serviceable. I don’t know. I was just curious and thought a better description of which part was leaking might help others later down the road.
    AHA
    The OP never posted a model or serial number. I pulled up the 03-3 page from the AH series and selected H250LHOAHA model. Item 26 is the complete assembly #5009902 I don't know if BRP has updated their IPC or not, doesn't appear to have been updated.
    The OP also said on another site that the tech on the BRP service trailer replaced it during a Costa event.