Talon Installation Help...Questions

I'm installing Talons on a manual 8" Slidemaster jackplate. The instructions say to remove the external jackplate side bar, and REUSE the inner threaded plate that came with the jackplate. Fine...however, when I go to install the elbow to the jackplate, using the bolt and both washers, the nylock nut will barely hand thread onto the bolt. After torquing, the end of the bolt does not even extrude through the nut...HELP
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

2. Banned
    Are you sure you're not supposed to remove the inner threaded plate, and just use nuts and bolts?

3. Banned
    The reason I ask is if using the inner threaded plate, where are you putting the nylock nuts?

4. Member
    I ran mine without the nylon lock nut. I had lock washers and a flat washer on the bolt head side.

5. Member
    Right now, I stopped after FLAG installation on the first Talon. I'm mounting to an 8" manual SlideMaster jackplate which has and inner and outer vertical bar (inner jackplate bar has two threaded holes). I removed the outer jackplate bar (per the instructions) and left the inner jackplate bar in place. So, I have the bolt and washer inserted through the jackplate, threaded into inner jackplate bar, and no nylock nut. This just doesn't seem right to me. If I don't use the inner washer, then I've room to get the nylock nut all the way on ending up even with end of the bolt. I'm just not sure how to proceed. Any/all help is greatly appreciated as I'll be heading back down to the lake tomorrow to continue the installation.

Thanks,
    Keith

6. Banned
    Why do you need a nylock nut if it's threaded into the bar?
    Just tighten the nut against the bar; it effectively becomes a jam/lock nut because the bolt is threaded into the bar. The nylon doesn't matter.
    Or buy longer bolts.

7. Member
    Thanks for the input Nova Kaw 650. I read instructions LITERALLY! That's why I need a nylock nut. If I follow the instructions and things don't fit correctly, my mind goes awry. I think I'll add the nylock nuts and proceed.

8. Member
    Dont use the inner washer. Really the nut is just keeping the bolt from backing out in your situation. Just make sure the bolt is tight into the inner slide then put the nut on.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Dont use the inner washer. Really the nut is just keeping the bolt from backing out in your situation. Just make sure the bolt is tight into the inner slide then put the nut on.
    Correct. The nylock nut is not holding the load; it's just a lock nut. The threads in the backing plate are carrying the load.

10. Member
    ANOTHER QUESTION:

Should the top of the Talon ELBOW be even with the top of the jackplate, or higher? Right now, I have the ELBOW the same height as the inner jackplate bar and both of these are probably 2" higher than the actual body of the jackplate.

Thanks,
    Keith
    Last edited by kailor; 01-13-2019 at 09:54 AM.

11. Member
    I purchased a used Talon with both starboard and port transom mounting brackets, I just sandwiched them between motor and jack plate. Is this correct? It was on the port side so I left it there. It’s a single, but I have plans on adding another 12’ at a later date. Looks fine although it’s set back a good ways. Just curious if that’s acceptable.

12. Banned
    It's a sandwich bracket meant for when you don't have a jack plate. The normal position would be between the transom and motor. You're using the setback of the JP, that's why the Talon is back so far.