Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Decent snowpack should help

With a couple of more snows, there could be a very nice snowpack to increase lake levels this year in New Mexico. It looks like Northern New Mexico is seeing normal to above normal snow....

https://www.abqjournal.com/1267515/s...ew-mexico.html
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

We will need every bit of it and then some. This so far has been better than what we have had in recent past. Keepin' the fingers crossed!

3. Member
    Hope for any kind of water, snow or lots of rain north of the lake. EB is currently at 4300 ft elevation (6.4% capacity) with spillway being 4407.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    Hope for any kind of water, snow or lots of rain north of the lake. EB is currently at 4300 ft elevation (6.4% capacity) with spillway being 4407.
    Wow just wow
    Hope that isn’t a sign of things to come. Blue Mesa is/was at 22% of cap. 83’ down

5. Member
    One of the problems we have down here is all the water that is pulled before it gets to the lake then in may they open the dam for irrigation down south. Went out today, water temp was between 49-52 on my gage with air temp in the mid 60's. What a great afternoon on the water. That being said not even a bite but did run 88 mph with my small fishing prop.

6. Member
    Went our again today for a couple of hours, no fish but that's what I expected. Water temp between 47 & 49 with the elevation being around 4301, still 106 ft below spillway. I think I may be taking a couple of road trips in March thru May to TX and or OK or maybe AZ. Some where that has water and good fishing.

Been tough over here in Arizona this winter so far Dean. Have not done very well, only a few so far. They have all been really deep 35-40 foot! It seems like there is plenty of water here though.

8. Member
    Chris, where in AZ are you?

I'm in a town called Quartzsite. My work has a seasonal store here. Should be back before the end of February.

10. Member
    What do you fish around Quartzsite? When I drove over the Col River last week there wasn't much water. I've been considering Martinez.

Haves is 52 miles straight north on highway 95. I can grab highway 60 and Alamo lake is about an hour drive. And I have a buddy that lives in Surprise and Pleasant is only about 20 minutes from his house. I heard about Martinez, I guess it is straight south of here about an hour drive.

12. Member
    Well Charger, you are on the wrong side of Arizona lol....

Was going to say you could fish in my boat at Roosevelt, I have an open seat most of the time. I'm heading up this weekend to get my gear back into the boat, clean up a few things and try to get a few hours of fishing in. Supposed to be around 65 or a little better on Saturday.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

13. Member
    So if I were to plan a fishing trip to AZ to catch lots of fish and some nice ones, what is a good time and lake? I was going to fish the Big Bass Splash on Sam Rayburn in TX the end of April but when I looked into it they have between 3000/4000 or more boats so I decided that wasn't the fun week of fishing we are looking for. Considering AZ, TX, and OK (Grand Lake). NM is out as I live at Elephant Butte.

14. Member
    I haven't fished much in Arizona, as I just started back fishing last fall. I would say Roosevelt, Pleasant and Bartlett are the primary lakes for decent fish in central AZ. I don't know anything about Havasu, Powell or Mead.

Saguaro is bad right now. There was a tournament there last week and I believe out of 15 teams, the winners won it with 3 fish, like 10 pounds total. Everyone said it was ugly.

Saguaro and Canyon got the golden algae and had big fish kills a few years ago and they are trying to make a comeback. Obviously still a long way to go....

I've only fished Roosevelt and the general consensus is best fishing is February-April and September-November.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

15. Member
    Is there any place to stay around Roosevelt?

16. Member
    Roosevelt Resort at the lake, otherwise quite a few places in Globe AZ, which is about 20 miles from the lake. I usually stay in Globe out of convenience, as I like to hang out in their historic downtown and have a few beers at the pubs the night before fishing. Usual rates for Motel 6 in Globe is around $60 night, depending on the night.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

Thanks apenland01 on the back seat offer. You are right Im on the other side of the world over here!! Dean, apenland is correct from what I have heard also, Roosevelt, Bartlett and Pleasant are the ones to fish. And Pleasant can be finicky from time to time also. I have always had good luck at Alamo Lake when Ive been out here, but it is so low right now we aren't even going to try it. Dean another alternative for you might be Lake Alan Henry over in Texas. I went there once and did alright, that lake had a run for a few years as putting out more 10 pounders than any other lake in Texas, that was a few years back. I am a big, big fan of Grand lake and also Table Rock Lake (favorite).

18. Member
    Alpenland and Chris, thanks for the info. I will look up the lakes in AZ and check the distance from here. We have talked about all the TX lakes, Alan Henry is the closest with Amasted being next. Grand is a great lake, have a friend that lives in Grove, it's about the same drive as Amasted. Not sure what we are going to do yet but there is a trip happening in the next couple months.

Apenland, was wondering if you had heard how Alamo was doing. Lake level and fishing wise. Thinking of heading there on Saturday.
    Thanks in advance

20. Member
    I haven't heard about people fishing it, but they said it was up 6' water level from the rains on 1/17, so it sounds like the lake is gaining a bit. Apparently, fishing was quite good last March. If you go, let me know how you do.....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast