Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. mikesxpress
    Planned obsolescence now inclusive of software updates.

Done working for Lowrance in order to get my units operational after updates anymore.
    Windows can update my operating system multiple times each year and it continues to recognize all my networked hardware items. One restart and it's like it never happened. This should be the same way.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 01-21-2019 at 11:37 AM.

2. Member
    is there still a website to get the previous updates, did my gen 3 to 18.2 and pretty much made it unusable, constant frozen sonar, fine the day before the update

3. Member
    I have a gen 3 that I set up for ice fishing, it worked great the first time I had it out the second time I had it on the ice it ran for about 3 hrs then started freezing. I chalked it up to a low battery, was out this morning unit ran good for about an hour then was basically unusable, it was scrolling maybe an inch a minute. I did a soft then followed by a hard reset no change. I have the 18.2 firmware and just rolled it back to 7.0 hoping it works tommorow, I am never doing a Lowrance software update again, really frustrated at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by gotaf7 View Post
    I have a gen 3 that I set up for ice fishing, it worked great the first time I had it out the second time I had it on the ice it ran for about 3 hrs then started freezing. I chalked it up to a low battery, was out this morning unit ran good for about an hour then was basically unusable, it was scrolling maybe an inch a minute. I did a soft then followed by a hard reset no change. I have the 18.2 firmware and just rolled it back to 7.0 hoping it works tommorow, I am never doing a Lowrance software update again, really frustrated at this point.
    This is exactly the same situation I’m in. I updated my two Gen 3 units, since the update they will work fine for the first hour or so after initial startup of the day, then it will stutter indefinitely. Rolled back the software to 7.0, now they’re back to working like nothing happened. Very frustrating!
    2016 Phoenix 919
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 225

Quote Originally Posted by gotaf7 View Post
    This is exactly the same situation I’m in. I updated my two Gen 3 units, since the update they will work fine for the first hour or so after initial startup of the day, then it will stutter indefinitely. Rolled back the software to 7.0, now they’re back to working like nothing happened. Very frustrating!

6. Member
    I am back out on the ice tommorow I hope to hell rolling it to 7.0 fixes the issue, or I just might throw both the 7 and the 9 through the dealers window. I am at the point where I wish I would have kept my Gen2 units, they both worked flawlessly.

7. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by brycer View Post
    is there still a website to get the previous updates, did my gen 3 to 18.2 and pretty much made it unusable, constant frozen sonar, fine the day before the update
    After years of these untested updates being released and trashing my units I learned to save every update on my home computer so I could revert back.

8. mikesxpress
    If a home computer costing 1/4 of what a new MFD costs can be fully supported for years with updates from Microsoft, then Lowrance can do the same. They just choose not to. Continued update work arounds by consumers further support the Lowrance release format.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 01-22-2019 at 05:30 AM.

9. Member
    Guys like I posted earlier. There is no fix for the 18.2 problem. Roll the rev back to 7.0 and you want have a problem.
    Jason with your contacts with Lowrance you should be able to get their attention about this problem. They just blow us off when we call in and what makes it worse is when they say (we’ve never heard of that problem before).
    The last time they told me that I had the lady go to this web site on this very forum and search for 18.2 problems.
    She then acknowledged that other people were having the same issue. All she said was she would pass it along.
    And another thing I’m getting so tired of being told by so called experts on here to do a hard reset or lower the ping speed and the problem will go away. I have made my living working with computers for the last 30 years and know a firmware issue when I see it.
    Also Lowrance told me there probably would not be another revision for the Gen 3 as they are being phased out.
    Bottom line don’t bother calling Lowrance just go back to 7.0.

10. Member
    Rolled mine back to 7.0 it has been running flawless all morning! Sonar seems way crisper, I just bought a 7” and a 9” from a dealer that left over stock, the 7 came with 7.0 and the 9 has 18.2 definitely going to roll back the 9”.

11. Member
    Rolled mine back to 7.0 it has been running flawless all morning! Sonar seems way crisper, I just bought a 7” and a 9” from a dealer that left over stock, the 7 came with 7.0 and the 9 has 18.2 definitely going to roll back the 9”.

I’ll add two more to the list....rolled mine back to 7.0 and everything is working now. Really sad we have to figure out our own fix to problems.

13. Member
    anyone have a copy of 7.0 they are willing to share or know the location of one to download?

14. Member
    anyone have a copy of 7.0 they are willing to share or know the location of one to download?
    ftp://software.lowrance.com/HDS_Gen3...Standard-1.upd

15. mikesxpress
    Did the roll back fix yours too?

What features are lost, if any, rolling back to 7.0?

17. Member
    Besides the annoying stutter problem the spotlightscan transducer became completely useless. I have rolled my Gen3s (only thing on my network, no legacy) back to 7 until and if there is a fix. I would like to have the Genisis Live but guess I will have to wait.

PLEASE FIX LOWRANCE!!!!!!
    Also Lowrance PLEASE bring back the FTP download list site, how do you think we figure out problems with your software...by rolling back!!!!

And for those of you saying you will jump ship because of this issue to birds. You obviously are not part of any bird groups here or on facebook,,LOL It seems to be a common theme today with marine electronics and is getting annoying!!!

18. Member
    Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, but I’m having the same issues? Can anyone share 7.0?
    cant get the link to work that’s posted

19. Member
    Thanks guys. This fixed me too.

20. Member
    Same issue here as well with HDS 12 Gen 3. Sonar was freezing, went back to 7.0 and worked perfect. 18.2 did nothing but wreck my unit. Out of nowhere now I am getting another glitch on my mapping. When I switch from structure scan back to my map this shaded line appears and cuts off half of my contours on the lake. Extremely frustrating. If I pop my Navionics chips out then back in all my contours appear. If I leave it on mapping after that it’s fine, but I can’t switch from SS back to mapping without losing contours. DAE7E115-6998-4FCE-A15E-F9018908C414.jpegB95683D3-E61B-4A8A-A50F-A74217B7DE18.jpeg41835D1D-BF64-4213-AB77-2CF153D18477.jpeg​

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12