Battery question

Guys, wanted to run this by the experts. My 2014 xplorer with 24v trolling motor...batteries will not take a charge with the factory onboard charger. Boat lives in the basement and only had it out a couple of times last year...health problems. Charger manual states it will not charge if voltage detected is less than 4v, checked and they both read aprox 2v. and not receiving a charge, blinking red lights on charger, cranking battery OK. Guilty of not keep batteries on charger. Question, should I just replace both and keep them charged or hook them up to another charger and hope they don't die on me quickly. Don't mind replacing them if it guarantees my next fishing trip will not give me any surprises. Oh yeah, I got money I've never even spent yet...ha ha Thanks for any help you guys can give...

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I’d replace them. Either wait until you are ready to fish, or take advantage of a fairly good deal on batteries at Pep Boys http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=953322
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I’d replace them. Either wait until you are ready to fish, or take advantage of a fairly good deal on batteries at Pep Boys http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=953322
    Thats where I leaning, hate the idea of having to pull the batteries, xplorer owners will understand, tight.

4. Member
    Wow, 2 volts? Yea like CatFan said I would replace them. Even if you could get them to charge they would not last because of sulfation. cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

5. Member
    Thanks guys, I did hook another charger up and I can now charge with onboard charger, both came up to full charge over night. Guess I will try them out in a month or so. Nothing lost maybe save $$$$. Thanks again for feedback.

6. Member
    At least check the electrolyte levels cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

once below 50% charge the lead acid battery will not hold a full charge. Been there and done it more than once. It is best when you get back from the lake is put them on charge right then. Some people say not to leave the charger on them once charge. But with a real good charger with a maintenance mode I keep mind plugged up all the time with a surge strip inline with the A/C side of charger. I get five six years out my lead acid or glass mat batteries. I ran a North Star AMG down to the point it would not crank my 250 HPDI with 3 Humminbirds Helix 12", live well running and both bilge pumps running because my auto drain would not seal. The battery just over a year old. It would not hold a charge for a half day

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula