Thread: Okeechobee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okeechobee

Headed to the big o in a few weeks and havent been on the lake in a long time. I have heard the water is down. I dont expect any secret spots, but does anyone have some general advice. I will be there Feb 2-9.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyju View Post
    Headed to the big o in a few weeks and havent been on the lake in a long time. I have heard the water is down. I dont expect any secret spots, but does anyone have some general advice. I will be there Feb 2-9.

Thanks.
    Unfortunately it looks nothing like it used to with the insane amount of spraying FWC is doing their. Very sad and be careful if it remains low, The Big O is very unforgiving on props and lower units

3. Member
    Returned from 10 days of fishing and the lake is low and dropping, like others have said you will not recognize many of the areas. North of the Monkey box and worm cover are popular community areas now.

Thanks guys

5. Member
    you guys keep saying its low and dropping...how low is to low to fish? i fished bass open there i think in 2011...water was 11.75 ball park...still got around didn't hit anything took it slow.. got deeper water to take off

are they releasing water more quickly in past? isn't this the normal levels for this time of year? last year at this time it was 13.8 or so i think...

where can one see a chart of lake okeechobee history of lake levels..tried on core web page..really couldn't find one..sure there is..

and i know the spraying is sad.. i was there for costa 2 years ago and the big reed wall on south bay was gone!! no grass around monkey box then...where is all the grass to punch? if any..

going next week for the costa..looking forward to it..fingers crossed

6. Member
    I seen 12.34 on the link I went to for current levels.

7. Member
    Ended up having to push my boat back to the rim canal. Don’t go.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonray View Post
    you guys keep saying its low and dropping...how low is to low to fish? i fished bass open there i think in 2011...water was 11.75 ball park...still got around didn't hit anything took it slow.. got deeper water to take off

8 feet.

But then you also have the rim canal to fish.

2 years ago the lake was finally on the rebound heading towards 10.4 in the early part of June. New vegetation was coming after the previous Sumer/fall storms, drought was looking good. Then it happened. Storms, rain, and tropical storm/hurricane(s), filled the lake destroyed the emerging vegetation (giving the continued spraying even directly after the storm). And the lake has been high ever since, until now.

But back to June 2 years ago...Aside form having to shutdown and idle in almost 1/2 mile to the nearest piece of grass cover, I really liked the lake at 10.4 and would have liked to of seen it lower. The main lake was almost void of boaters as many choose to stay in the ditch. It makes you fish differently and really think about how the lake lays out (reading a map/graph/contour lines/island humps). Cause the last thing you wanted to do was idle to your old favorite area in for 30 minutes then decide you don't like the area! Those who complain about 12-13 feet or even 11 for that matter are those who are just use to running wherever they want.

I was stationed outside the state in the mid 2000's and again now, but my buddies who fished it in 06-09 when it was down to 8-9 feet always tell me they wish the lake would get that low again. Fishing was great, the grass rebounded incredibly. Then the water rose in late 09-2010 and the lake exploded with giant bags beginning in 2011 for about 4 years. Why? Vegetation! There was 5 incredible spawning years where grass was flourishing from the drought. Bass had Habitat, bait had habitat, fry had a hiding place! Then beginning in 2014 the water remained high, the ferocious spraying really began and the outside grass lines have disappeared, once the grass goes, the storms do the rest of the damage to remove the remaining outside grass lines. The lake needs to get down to 9 feet or less to allow the grass and native vegetation to re-establish itself. The spraying needs to STOP. All of it! Once that happens for a year or two, the big O will come back to a major player in the bass fishing world.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    8 feet.

But then you also have the rim canal to fish.

2 years ago the lake was finally on the rebound heading towards 10.4 in the early part of June. New vegetation was coming after the previous Sumer/fall storms, drought was looking good. Then it happened. Storms, rain, and tropical storm/hurricane(s), filled the lake destroyed the emerging vegetation (giving the continued spraying even directly after the storm). And the lake has been high ever since, until now.

But back to June 2 years ago...Aside form having to shutdown and idle in almost 1/2 mile to the nearest piece of grass cover, I really liked the lake at 10.4 and would have liked to of seen it lower. The main lake was almost void of boaters as many choose to stay in the ditch. It makes you fish differently and really think about how the lake lays out (reading a map/graph/contour lines/island humps). Cause the last thing you wanted to do was idle to your old favorite area in for 30 minutes then decide you don't like the area! Those who complain about 12-13 feet or even 11 for that matter are those who are just use to running wherever they want.

I was stationed outside the state in the mid 2000's and again now, but my buddies who fished it in 06-09 when it was down to 8-9 feet always tell me they wish the lake would get that low again. Fishing was great, the grass rebounded incredibly. Then the water rose in late 09-2010 and the lake exploded with giant bags beginning in 2011 for about 4 years. Why? Vegetation! There was 5 incredible spawning years where grass was flourishing from the drought. Bass had Habitat, bait had habitat, fry had a hiding place! Then beginning in 2014 the water remained high, the ferocious spraying really began and the outside grass lines have disappeared, once the grass goes, the storms do the rest of the damage to remove the remaining outside grass lines. The lake needs to get down to 9 feet or less to allow the grass and native vegetation to re-establish itself. The spraying needs to STOP. All of it! Once that happens for a year or two, the big O will come back to a major player in the bass fishing world.

Thanks for the info!!...made me feel better for my trip next week lol

i agree on low waters for the return of the grass..makes sense.

10. Member
    Will the vegetation rebound if the government keeps spraying?

11. Member
    Back when there was pepper grass, ell grass and hyrilla the water was clean and light could penetrate deeper water to have the growth. saying the water needs to be dropped to have weed growth is crazy. stop spraying then it will grow. Go up north Guntersville has weeds in 20 foot water. How? Hmm I remember when Okeechobee was at high 17 ft. you could run to moonshine from the ditch near Moore haven. Water was like an aquarium. Stop killing the filter.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    Back when there was pepper grass, ell grass and hyrilla the water was clean and light could penetrate deeper water to have the growth. saying the water needs to be dropped to have weed growth is crazy. stop spraying then it will grow. Go up north Guntersville has weeds in 20 foot water. How? Hmm I remember when Okeechobee was at high 17 ft. you could run to moonshine from the ditch near Moore haven. Water was like an aquarium. Stop killing the filter.
    ScottOz, but the low water will also help dry up the muck it's not just to help the grass rebound.

13. Member
    Fished Okeechobee yesterday for the first time in a couple months, Duck season was horrible this year by the way, and the water quality was terrible. Off colored everywhere I went and the fishing was slow as molasses. I am sure people were catching them somewhere but I only saw other person catch a fish. On top of the morons still spraying the low water is going to take me a few trips to figure out. So far, I am not seeing any new growth to speak of in areas typically covered up with vegetation. I think we all need to grab a bucket of hydrilla and “mistakenly” drop it in Okeechobee

14. Banned
    The Bass Pro Shops Open Series formally the Ram Open was held out of Clewiston yesterday
    18.10 first, normally 18 lbs would not" get a check" here.

https://www.americanbassanglers.net/...ate=01/19/2019

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arethaz View Post
    ScottOz, but the low water will also help dry up the muck it's not just to help the grass rebound.
    Yes I know, The muck that was created by killing the filter. Vicious cycle that needs to stop.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EL Skeeter View Post
    The Bass Pro Shops Open Series formally the Ram Open was held out of Clewiston yesterday
    18.10 first, normally 18 lbs would not" get a check" here.

https://www.americanbassanglers.net/...ate=01/19/2019

yes... i was really surprised by those weights... was expecting 25 lbs or more... what was the problem? wind blow? water that low? not enough grass? or is this the new normal...

17. Member
    It's been cold and windy weights weren't surprising at all. Took 31lbs the week before to win

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    It's been cold and windy weights weren't surprising at all. Took 31lbs the week before to win

good makes me feel better..leaving in the morning for big O

19. Banned
    Talked to a couple of guys, both said" had to troll 1/2 or so to get on plane" .
    CAUTION!!! If you run in on plane. make sure you trim up before setting down CAUSE you will hit bottom.

20. Member
    The deepest spot I fished was about 30” but most areas were less than that. She is real skinny in a lot of places people normally run their rigs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast