Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Pantera II or Classic

Pantera II and Pantera Classi are euipped the same, both 4 strokes (PII Mercury and Classic Yamaha), priced the same. Which would you buy and why? I had my mind made up on PII because it drives like a sports car but the Classic is set up much better for fishing. Anyone out there have a Classic? Top speed? Guessing around 70mph but felt less nimble. I am really split down the middle on this purchase.

2. Member
    I had the exact same choice last spring. I ended up with 2018 PII. I drove from Ocala, FL up to Tuscaloosa AL for it. It was a tough decision for me, but I feel like I made the right one. I liked the front deck size and layout of the Classic better. But I like the livewells and wider rear beam better on the PII and the PII is a smidge shorter so it fits in the garage easier. The PII is a rocket from 0 to 60mph. Depending on load I run 69 to 72mph. I am now messing with props and jackplate height because I think I can squeeze 1 or 2 mph more out of it. Both have plenty of storage and console room. I'm 6'4" and 260lbs and am fine in the PII. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I would guess the Classic is a mile or 2 slower then the PII due to weight, but maybe not because it is narrower in the back. Good luck deciding. It was tough for me. PM me if you want more info. Oh, Hideaway Harbor in Tuscaloosa had both a 2019 Classic and PII in stock. Both were rigged with the new 200hp 4 stroke Pro XS too. I'm not sure if they still have both. But if they do it might be worth the drive to see both.
    Last edited by BassCatBrad; 01-11-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    Brad Krone

3. Member
    Thanks you for the thoughts!

4. BBC SPONSOR
    I have seen both boats in person, I have run a PII but never a classic. The PII as you say is a speedster for sure. The classic from what I gather is a upper 60's boat speed wise. I could be wrong here. If you are a bigger guy and fish with friends often or family, then go with the wider boat, which is the classic. If you fish alone a lot of just fish tourneys, etc. then go with the PII. you will want the extra space of the classic for space. but remember this....the two boats are not created equal when it comes to quality, look at the details etc. vs. the PII , which is an Advantage boat and the classic is a vision boat. There is a big difference. something to think about, given the price point of the two. If it was me, both boats priced the same, all created equal, go with the PII.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I kicked around switching from my '07 P2 last spring to a new Classic. After a conversation with someone I trust who's very familiar with both boats I decided to stick with my P2. He thought that after owning and driving the P2 I'd likely be disappointed with the Classic. Not that he said there was anything necessarily wrong with the Classic, just that it wasn't going to ride like what I'm used to. If their both the same price I'm going to have to say go with the P2. That being said I also like the "traditional" bassboat layout of the P2 better myself, I think it's set up great to fish.

6. Member
    This is a tough call. These are most likely the two rigs that I’ll be in the market for when I upgrade. Just not sure what I’d do either. Good luck with your decision. Not sure you can really go wrong.

7. Member
    TritonBrad is correct. I was at Hideaway Harbor Marine in Tuscaloosa yesterday and they have the following 2019 BassCats in stock: Classic, PII and Cougar. All with Pro XS V8 4-strokes in stock and ready to go. I'm a PII fan as I owned one before my current Eyra....but the Classic is gorgeous and the price is incredibly reasonable !!!! Go look at them side by side...it would be hard to be unhappy with either choice !

There no doubt that the Classic has a bigger front deck, but we fished 3 up in a PII for 3 years with 2 highschool boys on the front deck of a PII. It's an amazing platform. And there is NO bass boat on the water that's faster from 0-60 than the PII. No Allisons or Bullets can touch you in a short run...trust me !!!! You will be long gone before anything else even gets on plane. Literally a PII will be on plane in 2 boat lengths !!! It's an absolute rocket and ball of fun to drive !
    Last edited by FastCat04; 01-12-2019 at 06:39 AM.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastCat04 View Post
    There no doubt that the Classic has a bigger front deck, but we fished 3 up in a PII for 3 years with 2 highschool boys on the front deck of a PII. It's an amazing platform. And there is NO bass boat on the water that's faster from 0-60 than the PII. No Allisons or Bullets can touch you in a short run...trust me !!!! You will be long gone before anything else even gets on plane. Literally a PII will be on plane in 2 boat lengths !!! It's an absolute rocket and ball of fun to drive !
    Very true statement... Lol.. I wish I had rear view mirror on the boat. I would love to see the lead I get during take off of tournaments. During the very first tournament I fished out of my PII after break-in I ran to a lock. I was first boat to the lock. A guy in a 21ft Ranger with a 250hp motor got there about 30 seconds after me. He did not believe I had a 200 Pro XS. He asked if it was a 225 or 250 with a 200hp decal. I laughed and said I bought this boat a little over a month ago. He couldn't believe how fast my holeshot was. He said I was almost out of sight by the time he got up to speed.
    Brad Krone

9. Banned
    No doubt the P2 is a rocket with 3.0L 2-stroke, 4.6L 4-stroke, 3.4L 2-stroke or 4.2L 4-stroke as it has such a great torque to weight ratio, the Classic I imagine isn't far behind.

One benefit in the Classic is with dual consoles you can get rods in and out easier.

I've been in both and can't remember, is the room at the helm the same? I know there's a big difference in the Sabre and P2, but I know there's a steering wheel extension made to bring it closer for smaller guys so that you can still keep your back against the seat.

10. Member
    A previous post from BCB:

The 200 Pro XS is a great pairing on the Classic, We do have one of those in the field with reports of lower to mid 70's from the dealer. Great low-end torque makes the hole shot on the Classic phenomenal.

From a Classic owner:

#1006-28-2018, 11:22 PM
    I've got a 2018 Pantera Classic with a 200XS on it. It's a sweet ride. I absolutely love it. It'll run 72 loaded with two people. The hole shot is unbelievable and it handles like a Ferrari. I'm running a 25 three blade fury. It's roomy under the steering wheel and has lots of storage. I went with the trailer upgrade on mine. I plan on ordering another one just like it in another month or so.

2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. Member
    I’ve heard the Classic has issues with water leaking into compartments. I have not heard any reports about compartments leaking in PII. Any Classic owners having issues with this leaking compartments?

12. Member
    There has been many Classics sold, even in my area. Many don't know about the owners site or the BBC site. So there just isn't feed back on the Classic like other models.
    Hopefully more will discover the sites so future buyers can get info from Classic owners.

I also have a PII so cannot give feed back on the Classic.
    As BCB has stated in other threads, the PII is the perfect all around tournament fishing rig. Unless your fishing big water where a longer rig will benefit, there is no reason to go bigger. Mostly ego. I have owned a 98 Jag and a 14 Eyra. For the lake and Bayous I fish, the PII is the perfect rig!
    As mentioned earlier, I don't know many model boats that can hang with the PII from 0-60 mph. On blast off, everyone is chasing the Pantera II's. Including other Bass cats.

With a top speed in the lower 70's, it will take miles for the faster boats to catch me. That's all fun, but its when the TM goes down that the PII really shines.
    Excellent TM response, and perfect for working piers and getting in between cypress trees. Drafts shallow, and slides off stumps with ease.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

I have to admit I wasn't real impressed with the classic when I first saw it at BCB. That is until I got it on the water. IMO it's currently the best bang for your buck and runs very well. The PII is a fine rig, IMO the classic is better.

14. Member
    I don't know the PII, but I do fish both an older Ranger and a 2018 Classic. I love the classic!! - We fish as a family and the huge front deck was a must for us. The classic is also surprisingly easy to troll in and out of tight places - she is predictable. When we're fishing, the Classic is more prone to roll when two people are walking around on deck than my ranger, but on plane, and in chop, there is no comparison. none. It is fast, smooth, and dry in heavy waves. It is absolutely a great value, and even though it doesn't have the pump system that the PII does, the deep livewells will go a long way to keeping your fish healthy if you are a part-time tournament guy.

My only gripe is that the gas tank must have a leak. hahahaaa!! JK.. Those ~27 useable gallons go fast.

Te newer Pantera Classic models have plastic tanks with a full 30 usable gallons.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman25 View Post
    remember this....the two boats are not created equal when it comes to quality, look at the details etc. vs. the PII , which is an Advantage boat and the classic is a vision boat
    I am not buying this. Sounds to me like features/options are being confused with quality. The AE package has more standard features than a Vision package. In fact, if I recall correctly, some years back, the P2 was available in two packages, the standard and the upgradeable AE (sometimes offered as spring promotion from BCB), which only added features. Same boat, different options.

In any case, as much as I love my little rocket P2, my next rig is a totally upgraded Classic with the new 4s V8 from Mercury. I simply would like a wider front deck. The lesser live well system is not a concern at all for me.

I would appreciate a comment from BCB on this quality concern of the Classic .
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

17. Member
    Pretty sure there are different resins used, but I’m probably wrong

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Pretty sure there are different resins used, but I’m probably wrong
    Don't think so. All of the models have a VE barrier coat, but, only the premium models have VE on all of the outer laminates as well.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    I would appreciate a comment from BCB on this quality concern of the Classic .
    I was all set to buy a 2018 PII with a single axle trailer but was told by another BCB owner to stay away from the single axle trailer because the vault hubs do not hold up, failed 3 times in 2 years...so single axle is out. My single axle 2008 Ranger blew a hub - not fun.

There is no issue with Vault hubs we are aware of. Every company uses them and the ratings are the same and the same bearings with grease. Most issues on Vault hubs are self inflicted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast