Minn Kota Charger Base

Has anybody had any issues with their charger base cracking and basically falling apart where it is mounted to the metal plate in the rear compartment? I have it secured with a ratchet strap but the boat is only a couple years old. I would have thought Minn Kota would have used better support than just plastic. Thanks for the response in advance.

If it is only a couple of years old, I would call Minn Kota. The chargers have a 3 year warranty against material defects.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/suppo...ttery-chargers

3. Member
    I had my first charger brake in the first year. Minn Kota replaced it, I had to pay for a new one and send the broken one back once they received it they refunded my $. Then had a that one go bad after a year and a half it boiled over all four of my battery's. When I contacted Minn Kota they told this would be the last time they would replace it. I stated it was only a year and half old, that's when they told the warranty is only good for three years since the boat is a 2015 they could not help me in the future. The rep. stated the warranty stars the day you buy your boat. When this one gives up the fight I will shoping for a different brand!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mcb196 View Post
    Has anybody had any issues with their charger base cracking and basically falling apart where it is mounted to the metal plate in the rear compartment? I have it secured with a ratchet strap but the boat is only a couple years old. I would have thought Minn Kota would have used better support than just plastic. Thanks for the response in advance.
    Yep. Mine broke off completely when I moved here from Virginia. I found it laying in the bottom of the bilge area on top of the livewell pumps/hoses. These damn concrete roads....
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

5. Member
    Its the design of that plate by Skeeter. Unfortunately this issue is a caused by Skeeter. The plate is too thin and not sturdy enough. Velcro strap has been my best friend.

6. Member
    I had same thing happen. Minn kota replaced charger and sent a mounting kit to use to correct the problem with the skeeter mounting plate. Instead of using the new mounting hardware to correct the problem I went to a metal fabrication shop. I took the skeeter installed plate that charger was mounted too and got them to cut an exact size. I think I went up to 1/8" or 3/16" aluminum plate. The Skeeter installed plate was too thin and caused too much flexing that breaks the plastic housing. Since I beefed up the mounting plate about 2 seasons ago I have not had a problem. Easy fix

Before I got this accomplished I just used the big heavy duty zip ties to go around the charger and the plate to secure it. That worked great until I got the new thicker plate cut and installed

7. Member
    Thanks for the ideas and response guys.

8. Member
    JUST PUT RUBBER GROMENTS UNDER CHARGER 4 IN EACH SCREW HOLE PROBLEM SOLVED

9. Member
    I just saw these posts after I purchased a MK 440 PC. I was going to use a 1/2 piece of starboard to mount the charger to, since my old one fit across the bilge area perfectly. Do you think I'm asking for trouble with the starboard. It's pretty thick

Maybe should have bought a Dual Pro after all....

Eric
    A great fisherman lives here with the catch of his life!

10. Member
    so if the motor blew up 1 year into ownership and was replaced only to blow up on the final day of your 3 year warranty and be replaced again you would still expect another 3 years coverage for nothing? That would be why business people close their doors as they wouldnt be able to make a profit warranting doing business as such. While i know the frustration and hate that we've come to be a throw away society it is accepted that warranties start at the time of purchase for ALL things and only valid until the expiration date.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gamblerman96 View Post
    JUST PUT RUBBER GROMENTS UNDER CHARGER 4 IN EACH SCREW HOLE PROBLEM SOLVED
    Mine had them already from either the factory or dealer when the charger was installed on my new boat. Didn't help! These things are just using a cheap plastic base!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc Doc View Post
    so if the motor blew up 1 year into ownership and was replaced only to blow up on the final day of your 3 year warranty and be replaced again you would still expect another 3 years coverage for nothing? That would be why business people close their doors as they wouldnt be able to make a profit warranting doing business as such. While i know the frustration and hate that we've come to be a throw away society it is accepted that warranties start at the time of purchase for ALL things and only valid until the expiration date.
    Yes I would, since it was a new motor. If the motor was fixed or parts fixed then no.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA