Who makes a quality hitch and coupler lock set?

I have a 17 bass cat, the trailer lock is the one that snaps down and then has a safety pin inserted along the bottom. I recently ordered a reese lock set for the coupler and the hitch pin, it was more or less plastic junk... I'm looking at the curt one now, that has the anodized blue cylinders. But would pay more for something all metal that's more sturdy. Let me know what you guys used?
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Nobody as far as I can tell. I have a Master now, and any key that will go in the lock will open it. I've never seen a couple lock that you couldn't knock off with a couple of swings of a hammer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Nobody as far as I can tell. I have a Master now, and any key that will go in the lock will open it. I've never seen a couple lock that you couldn't knock off with a couple of swings of a hammer.
    Some of the reviews I've read on amazon are scary. Hitches coming off, locks falling off.. trailers pulling hitches out... No good. Its a simple thing to build you think someone would make a solid one. I looked at the "bolt" brand ones and they seems sturdy for the hitch pin but the coupler lock for the boat trailer is cheesy at best.

4. Member
    I use Durasafe hitch, coupler and swing tongue locks. You can get them all keyed alike. https://durasafelocks.com/shop/produ...ring-security/

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimg67 View Post
    I use Durasafe hitch, coupler and swing tongue locks. You can get them all keyed alike. https://durasafelocks.com/shop/produ...ring-security/
    Bet I can open both faster than you can open one with the key https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...l-only/dcg412b
    nothing else matters.​

this doesnt look too bad. all metal with brass locks... https://www.hannarv.com/P/25966/Redl...keTypeCouplers

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    There’s only 1 I’ve seen that would truly stop a thief....cannot remember the name but it was on here. I use the yellow Reese one with a lock on the hitch latch. I know they can be broken off if someone really wants to, but it’s a visual deterrent which will stop most thieves just looking for a quick steal.

If someone really wants to steal your boat they will find a way, we can only do so much.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I've been through four 1/4 coupler locks so far (1 Master lock, 1 Curtis and 2 Reese) and now a 5th unbranded one and they've all bent. I drive very carefully and on the slow side when I'm towing the boat, so I don't know why these keep bending? I have a single axle Ranger Trail trailer, pulling my Ranger 361V. Any suggestions?
    Tight lines Y'all!

1989 Ranger 361V
    1991 Johnson Faststrike 150hp

This one has worked well for me !

https://www.amazon.com/Towpower-7278...s%2C674&sr=8-4
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    This one is pure junk! If you want a true high quality lock, it'll cost you, but look at either ftknoxlocks.com or proven industries locks!
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcraigrrt View Post
    This one is pure junk! If you want a true high quality lock, it'll cost you, but look at either ftknoxlocks.com or proven industries locks!
    Both of those look to be great locks when your trailer is not attached to your tow vehicle. How about something for when you are towing and your $5000 trailer is sitting at the landing attached to your vehicle?
    2015 Ranger 1880 VS Angler
    2015 MERCURY 150HP
    (Model #:1150F23HD Serial #:2B135781)

12. Member
    My boy is a locksmith and he said Proven industries is the best.

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jotahech371 View Post
    My boy is a locksmith and he said Proven industries is the best.
    They certainly are, but north of $200 and they only work when unhitched.

I think an answer is more motion activate security cameras on vehicles. When they realize they can’t go near a vehicle without being recorded, they will choose an easier way to make money. Something like my Ring doorbell on the truck would be sweet. Record when it senses motion around my truck or trailer or a bump from an impact. That would even keep the dishonest people honest.
    nothing else matters.​

If you have a fixed coupler better plan on welding it and if you have the typical hydraulic coupler you will have to get even more creative. The best coupler lock won’t stop any average Joe from sliding out the coupler and quickly fitting a replacement. Bye bye trailer.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    They certainly are, but north of $200 and they only work when unhitched.

I think an answer is more motion activate security cameras on vehicles. When they realize they can’t go near a vehicle without being recorded, they will choose an easier way to make money. Something like my Ring doorbell on the truck would be sweet. Record when it senses motion around my truck or trailer or a bump from an impact. That would even keep the dishonest people honest.
    Having motion activated cams around the truck would be pretty cool. In order to be a deterrent, the cams would have to be visible to give a would be thief something to think about. I think it's possible to put together a cam kit that could be hooked up to run on 12vdc. One cam inside the truck cab to capture images of anyone who enters the truck and another cam at the back of the truck pointed at the empty trailer at the ramp or boat/trailer when parked at a hotel or restaurant.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by rcraigrrt View Post
    And you're qualified to make that opinion ? How ? I've been using this on 3 different trailers over the last 25+ years with never one failure !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

And you're qualified to make that opinion ? How ? I've been using this on 3 different trailers over the last 25+ years with never one failure !!
    I’m no expert but this guy is...

You have just been fortunate that no one has ever really wanted to steal your trailer. To be fair, none of these locks are gonna slow anybody down for more than a minute.

18. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You need to watch the locksmith videos on YouTube. Not much good to be said for them. You can open them several ways in just a couple of seconds. No security at all.

Last edited by CatFan; 08-09-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    nothing else matters.​

Here’s my trailer security...

I pull off my detachable tongue. I can use my trailer valet to roll my trailer head-first right up to my hotel door without the tongue and then remove the trailer valet. That would be a pain to steal. Plus, my boat is old. No one would want it, anyways.

Here’s the lockpickinglawyer’s review of the Proven Industries 2178. He picked it in about 30 seconds but he seemed to like it and said that it’s one of the best ones out there. If you have a UFP style coupler you would probably need the 2178 U.

Last edited by 86 inches; 08-10-2019 at 08:43 AM.