Thread: Blade baits

Blade baits

what is everyones thoughts on hooks for them what kind do you like and why,

Only one style of hooks works for me. They are double hooks. Limerick or 9908 hooks.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    I use #5 Gamakatsu Nano Finesse trebles and a "soft split right" ( a split ring made out of braided line) to attach it.

My guess is trebles foul 10x more than what 21XDC suggested, but it's just what works for me. I always have spare trebles laying around so I use them. Pretty much anything is an upgrade from the split trebles that typically come stock on a blade bait.

4. Member
    I use either VMC 9908 of Mustad 7826. Both are open shank double hooks. I clip them on (no split ring) with the points facing backwards for less hang-ups. I use #6 on 1/4 oz. blades and #4 on the 1/2 oz. ones.

Tom

5. Member
    Want to know my thoughts on hooks on blade baits? A Silver Buddy is the absolute worst bait to throw because it gets caught on everything on the bottom plus the hooks keep getting caught on the line, the bait and each other. If it didn't knock 'em dead in Winter I would never throw one.
    I'm thinking about experimenting with a single hook pointing up attached to the back somehow.

6. Member
    small blade,size 6 and big blade size 4 gamakatsu round bends with braid split rings. If you tie the split rings just right (I use an allen key) they wont tangle or foul and your hook to land ratio is in the 90 percentile rather than 40-60 with metal split rings or clip on trebles. If you want to go the route of metal clip ons get the special VMC round bend split trebles from lurecraft. I fish smallies a lot on the great lakes and the braid split ring is the deal for blades. They hold up for around 60-70 fish but by then it's time for new trebles. I've got proficient at tying them and can do a bait in under 3 minutes.

7. Member
    This braid/hook thing has me interested anyone have a picture or video of it

8. Member

not the best picture,I could do a video of it sometime but mark zona wouldn’t be happy lol

9. Member
    So I see what the Allen wrench was for to make the loop I take it you go though both twice but what kind of knot would you tie

10. Member
    Gamakatsu Double 21 hooks.

11. Member
    There are some decent video's out there if you search soft split ring

I'm with BassCat, I throw them for great lakes smallies as well, and the system of high quality trebles and soft split rings seems to really help. Once you get proficient at tying them, you can get a seasons worth of blades done fairly quickly.

Sidenote: The braid split rings work very well on topwater baits as well.....

12. Member
    thanks guys going to give this a shot and see how it works

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    So I see what the Allen wrench was for to make the loop I take it you go though both twice but what kind of knot would you tie
    It's kinda like a double overhand loop knot. I'd have to show you a video of how I do it.