Mounting placement of a cv/sv Garmin transducer on the transom

Hello everyone,
    The holidays are behind us & it is now time to get priorities back in order & back on #1) boat #2) fishing
    I am installing 2 Garmin Echcomap plus 73sv, one in front & one on console sharing same transim mounted transducer. My question is where is the best placement for the transducer with prop wash interference, breakage from being struck & visual correct sonar readings.
    Boat is a Mean15 1986 / 90 Tower of Power Mercury 2 stroke.
    Thanks to all in advance
    Robert
    Southern California

If you look in the general forums there is a post and video about installing the Lowrance total scan transducer. I would follow those same instructions in the Garmin so you can continue to read bottom at higher speeds.

3. Member
    I hung my transducer on the backplate and it works fine,just don't read on plane.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

4. Member
    Bruce is your transducer a side view or just a down view?? What my fear is that unless I raise the motor out of the water the side imagining will be blocked by the lower unit & tilting the motor reduces the fishing area for the person in the back, not a lot but enough. If it was only down imaging I wouldn't give this a second thought & install the transducer to the back about 18" to the right of the motor just above the recessed edge for clearance of the trailer ramps. I appreciate your responce, but want to be sure your talking about side view imaging as well.
    Robert

5. Member
    I have a 1990 184 and I have the sv garmin transducer on my backplate any I worried about the same thing you did but I have cruised around all summer with my motor all the way down and have not had any problems with blocked views. I have no jackplate you shouldn't have any issues. Mine is 12" left of centerline.
    1990 Champion 184
    Yamaha proV150
    Garmin Electronics

6. Member
    Thank you ratchet1300, very much appreciated & that goes for everyones input! I swear i would be so lost without this forum, it's like having a conference on any subject & pulling information from a never ending collective body of experience. I went to the Garmin site on here & besides having some 130 or pages to read thru just to find a topic close to what your looking for, it got so confusing (I get overwhelmed buttering toast) with everyone slapping each others experience around since it didn't match what they had. Again thanx
    Robert Lafreniere
    Lomita, California
    1986 Champion Mean 15
    1986 Mercury Tower Of Power 90hp

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruudawg View Post
    Bruce is your transducer a side view or just a down view?? What my fear is that unless I raise the motor out of the water the side imagining will be blocked by the lower unit & tilting the motor reduces the fishing area for the person in the back, not a lot but enough. If it was only down imaging I wouldn't give this a second thought & install the transducer to the back about 18" to the right of the motor just above the recessed edge for clearance of the trailer ramps. I appreciate your responce, but want to be sure your talking about side view imaging as well.
    Robert
    My transducer is side and down and sonar
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

8. Member
    Thank you Bruce2 that is the answer I have been looking for. Between your reply & ratchet1300's I am now willing to drill the holes needed in the back to mount the transducer. I have 2 of the same units & was going to put the other unit up front & mount the transducer to the bottom of the trolling motor. Do you think this is a waste of time? My other option is to link the 2 units together using the cat 2000 line from Garmin. Kinda of a little confused if the trolling motor will cause problems from vibration &/or not give a good reading from not moving fast enough. Do these work if im just drifting over areas & along the shore, or even just sitting in one spot?
    Robert Lafreniere
    Lomita, California
    1986 Champion Mean 15
    1986 Mercury Tower Of Power 90hp

9. Member
    I have the Striker Plus 7sv on the console and the Striker Plus 5cv on the trolling motor. I have the cable ran between them so they will share waypoints. I have not had any problems with interference on either sonar. I have a Motorguide 76lbs. 24 volt trolling motor and with it on or off it doesn't react on the graph.
    1990 Champion 184
    Yamaha proV150
    Garmin Electronics