Ferrite toroid, mix 77

Was having issues with my Helix 10 and Ultrex. RFI on the screen whenever I stepped on the TM power. Added these and cleared up 90% of the issues. No RFI when stepping on power BUT I am getting a black streak whenever I turn direction. Still a bit to work on. Anyone else have a problem with an Ultrex causing a black streak or what appears to be a temporary loss of signal when turning the motor?

http://kf7p.com/

20190109_143152_resized.jpg
    20190109_145429_resized.jpg
    20190109_145435_resized.jpg
    Last edited by DougL58; 01-10-2019 at 06:03 PM.

2. Member
    I use those same ones, from the same place. They basically cleaned up all my interference issues from my Ultrex. I'm curious what screen your seeing the black streak on. I get some crazy lines on 2d from time to time. I feel like I may be getting something through my ethernet connection. I've seen where some have had some interference through the ipilot link ethernet cable. I did put one ring on my ethernet cable that comes from the ethernet hub to the bow unit, just before it plugs into the adapter before the unit and it helped some, but I may need to double stack 2 of them like I did on my transducer cable.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    I'm getting a black line, really looks like a loss of signal, on my mega down and side whenever I turn the Ultrex. I disconnected the network cable coming from the Ultrex to the Helix 10 and still get the loss of signal. It is only when the head is turning. The image resumes right after so it appears as a black line.

4. Member
    A black line on imaging does kinda sound like a loss of signal, but that is weird. I would think an actual loss of signal would bring up some kind of notice about not having a transducer connected. When I had interference on imaging, it was a washed out looking area of the screen, so i don't know about a black line. Might wanna give humminbird a call and see what they say. Would help if you can take a screen shot to show them too.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

5. Member
    where do you put the ring ? I have tm interference and would like to try this .

6. Member
    As close to the head unit as possible. I have about 12" from the toroid to the head unit. Two taped together. Works great. Be sure the fuse in the TM is good also.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    where do you put the ring ? I have tm interference and would like to try this .

7. Member
    Is taped together best or wrap wires through one and then the other? I also purchased these same rings. I will be testing on the water tomorrow with almost the same issues you are and were having except I have HDS gen2 touch. I got about 8 wraps through one and then did the same immediately following with the other. Mine are about 8” from the head unit.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soutah View Post
    Is taped together best or wrap wires through one and then the other? I also purchased these same rings. I will be testing on the water tomorrow with almost the same issues you are and were having except I have HDS gen2 touch. I got about 8 wraps through one and then did the same immediately following with the other. Mine are about 8” from the head unit.
    I have seen both configurations. I don't know if one is better than the other. Experts can weigh in here.

9. Member
    Do you put theses on your power cable or transducer cable?

This is what I do to eliminate all interferance, The thing I can not get as well as like is structure scan on the bow while turning, Have not found a fix for that yet, though it is a minor issue
    Be sure the 3 amp fuse in the head is good
    Never have the TM on when charging, even better install switch type breaker and allways turn it off before charging

Run new power wires directly to battery
    High quality, high strand count tinned copper wire, its notcheap
    12 gauge battery to console and bow, hand laid twist about 10 to 12twist per ft, May need 10 gauge if running multiple 12 or 16in units
    20 amp fuse at battery
    From console to each unit 16 gauge twisted pair with 3 amp fuse including to bow
    Wire runs on opposite of boat from trolling motor cables
    Try to keep electronics wire as far as possible from other wiring such as livewells pumps and wiring

Consider installing a switch in the battery charger leads to the cranking battery that will open circuit the ground, as this can assure that the charger is not providing a ckt between cranking and trolling motor battery grounds...... If you still have issues after all else is done

Ferrite rings added to transducer cable and power cable from foot pedal
    Use stand off ties on transducer cable on trolling motorshaft
    No coils in transducer or power cables
    Wind them in a figure eight shape

Check voltage between negative posts between trolling motor batteries and cranking battery. If more than 300 MV, find what’s causing it and correct the problem

A choke on the power supple cable to the graphs is sometimes needed. Humming bird has one listed for their units, probably could be adapted to others as well

Set noise reduction and sensitivity to required levels
    Last edited by lpugh; 12-10-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh