Fastbass Marine TV -- Prop Shootout #1

This is the first of what should be many prop shootouts. My goat was a video that visually shows what the data logger graphs show. I think it came out well.

The video shows a 26 Hoss Hyperdrive vs. 28 P3 BC vs. 28 Promax vs. P4 BC.

These are my 4 favorite props on this motor and boat right now. Thus the reason I did this first video. I will run other shootouts with props that are more similar in the future. I will also do the same tests on other Ally's, so the different models will have something to draw from as well. I want to run some full live well comps as well.

We all run and test props so I know you guys will understand when I say it is extremely difficult to get this right. Getting the quickest run and the fastest top speed run in one pass is not easy. I want to show acceleration and how these props pull, so I favored acceleration over top end when it came to which pass got selected. In the end, you still need both to make this work, which makes testing fun. If I trim differently that will impact the numbers and make one prop look slow vs. another. If you run at different times over on the same day or on a completely different day the numbers can be off. I ran multiple passes with the props and it's amazing how repeatable the results are. I also added gas as I went so my weight didn't change either.

The P4 has a lot more left in it, so I took more of a drag race mentality with this video and ended it around 5000'.

In the future, I will have RPM, water pressure, trim angle, and boat pitch (so we can see how the nose lifts).

The 5-XXmph info on the right and left of the video will pop up as each prop passes the speed. This helps visually track how the prop's are accelerating. The distance is also shown in the middle to put it all in perspective. The first to a given speed doesn't always translate to the farthest down the lake. You can see at the end the P4 is running way faster than the P3, but it is several hundred feet behind.

The test shows why I'm a huge fan of the Promax. The prop just kills it on my boat. Great out of the hole and has a huge top end number. Even better, they are cheap compared to the pack....

Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

2. Member
    Great video. That boat sure gets past 90 in a hurry.

Great vids ...!!!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    Get in, hold on, shut up, lets go! LOL! Great video Geoff. Good comparison. If you leave the results up for about 10 seconds longer it will help old eyes and brains do more cognitive comparison though. HA!

5. Member
    That's really cool, it helps someone like me who is new to all of this see that testing props is key. For me not knowing the aspects of these different props it is cool to see how they perform differently than one might assume based solely on pitch. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

You can hit Pause on the video Johnny. That will give you as much time as you need. Especially if you need to get the abacus put. LOL
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

NTX, you can also come out and run with us. Lots happening in East Texas.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Get in, hold on, shut up, lets go! LOL! Great video Geoff. Good comparison. If you leave the results up for about 10 seconds longer it will help old eyes and brains do more cognitive comparison though. HA!
    slow poke lol
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Quote Originally Posted by ntxwaterfowl View Post
    That's really cool, it helps someone like me who is new to all of this see that testing props is key. For me not knowing the aspects of these different props it is cool to see how they perform differently than one might assume based solely on pitch. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
    You need to get with me sometime and we can test and figure it all out! Bob Sandlin is a perfect test lake this time of year!!
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    You need to get with me sometime and we can test and figure it all out! Bob Sandlin is a perfect test lake this time of year!!
    That would be fun, I could certainly use some driving tips too. With my 150 I can’t keep up with anyone but hopefully one of these days I’ll be dropping a 3 liter on it and represent the brand better!

11. Member
    Awesome video, really puts things in perspective when you can see all four runs simultaneously. Great real time editing

12. Banned
    Very cool video, thanks for taking the time to put it together and share!

Great work!
    - Allison XB2003
    - Mercury Racing 300xs
    - A ride on the California Delta: https://youtu.be/9oTVcRWWKcM

Thanks guys.

Next up is the MadEFI flywheel test.

That test Compares:
    1 Stock
    2 MadEFI
    3 MadEFI with P-Poles
    4 MadEFI, P-Poles, added 3" setback
    5 MadEFI, P-Poles, added 3" setback, DBR
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

15. Member
    Bring it on.

Rumor has it something big might be going down this week!!!
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R