Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Correct Install of MotorMate?

Got my Motor Mate today and put it on.

1. It sits the motor pretty severely up when installed, at least compared to the normal motor brace. Is this normal?

2. Which hole on the transom stern bracket is it supposed to clip into? The instructions don't address it and I've seen it on different holes on the images I've seen.

Thanks,

Robert

2. Member
    I'd move it down a couple holes to bring the motor down a little bit. I go three holes from the top on my ProXS

3. Member
    Why does everyone want to carry ther motor load on there transom instead rad of there trailer? Please tell I’m all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 BASS ASSASIN View Post
    Why does everyone want to carry ther motor load on there transom instead rad of there trailer? Please tell I’m all ears.
    So the motor’s load is not on the transom going down the lake, trying to hop, juke and flip the boat all over the place? The old style “Transom Saver” is a brand name like Vice Grips. The old style was needed on boats that had plywood for a transom. I was up at Lake Chatuge for the AOY last year and was there when all the Triton display boats were brought in...they all had a carpeted 2x6 for a motor support.

This has been beat to death here so do a search and make your own decision. Just use something.

To the OP, I use either the second or third hole.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 01-11-2019 at 09:21 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 BASS ASSASIN View Post
    Because it looks cool. And why do you care why I do with MY boat?

6. Member
    I do not believe my transom needs "saving" but if my trim/tilt fails my lower unit will drag on the ground.

I use a My-Wedge to hold the motor up in case of trim/tilt failure.

Some of these type of devices also keep the motor from tilting (Left/Right).

Hooking an outboard directly to the trailer makes zero sense to me but thats just my opinion. I'm sure others have theirs.

7. Scraps
    Not much of the motor load is carried by the trailer. The idea is to get the motor's center of gravity as close to directly above, or more, the transom. This reduces the "torque" the mass of the motor can put on the transom if the center of gravity is a little aft from the transom. Really, the higher the better.

I put mine on the second hole down. I'm also limited with my rigging tube hitting the transom with the jackplate all the way down. If you have a plate, I'd lower it as far down as you can go, then see where the motormate puts you and use the "highest" hole you can without damaging the rigging tube.

PS I also chopped about five inches off my rigging tube and that helped.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    Because it looks cool. And why do you care why I do with MY boat?
    I don’t typically buy things because they “ look cool” I certainly don’t care what you do , have , install or add to YOUR boat, I simply asked about the functionality of the product.

9. Member
    This subject has been beat to death. Physics will always win. I chose to use something that protects the whole package and the motor mate just isn't it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    This subject has been beat to death. Physics will always win. I chose to use something that protects the whole package and the motor mate just isn't it.
    With a transom saver, the force is transferred down the shaft and into the trailer cross bars reducing the force experienced by the transom.. A motor mate sends the force right back into the transom, also there’s nothing supporting the lower unit so the moment force the transom experienced is greater.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member
    oh my

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    With a transom saver, the force is transferred down the shaft and into the trailer cross bars reducing the force experienced by the transom.. A motor mate sends the force right back into the transom, also there’s nothing supporting the lower unit so the moment force the transom experienced is greater.
    Ill stick with old reliable myself.

13. Member
    trying to get a vertical support out of a horizontal member doesn't work. I'll draw up a freebody diagram sometime....

14. Scraps
    If the center of gravity is above the transom there is no moment. Trying to eliminate the damage from the motor bouncing up and down, vertically. The motor toter doesn't transfer load, it prohibits the rotation of the lower unit. I think the MotorMate does beat up the motor mount a little. But the motor toter does not "carry load."

There is a free body diagram on here somewhere. Sketched on a Natty Light stained napkin. Or is it toilet paper.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

15. Member
    Don't care what ya'll use, I use what I like and like what I use.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

16. Member
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL Pro
    2023 Pro XS 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Dual CM2 8' Blades

Tow Vehicle
    2022 GMC AT4 3500 HD Crew Cab Duramax
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

17. Member
    3rd hole from top for me

18. Banned
    I thought the instructions I got in the box said the 2nd hole... If your transom is that fragile I'd sell it buy a new rig. Noted above, the boat speeding down the lakes bouncing, slamming off waves and wakes is more stress than going down the road with your trailers suspension... Dan

150 Optimax on a 6" SM jackplate. I use the 2nd hole from the top.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

20. Member
    With a transom saver, the force is transferred up the shaft from the trailer cross bars increasing the force experienced by the transom.. A motor mate prevents movement also there’s no transferred momentum to the lower unit so the force the transom experiences is less.
    FIFY
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast