Boating question for PickWick

I've been on PickWick a few times, but it's always been approx. 20' fiberglass boats. I know PickWick moves pretty quick and can get rough.

I recently bought a BassTracker 175 with a 60hp 4 stroke and was wondering if I should have any hesitations about launching around McFarland and running towards the dam, on a day the water is moving really fast. I have very limited knowledge of these aluminum boats (I've only used it around my neighborhood lakes) and I just want to be safe since I will probably have my daughter with me.

Any thoughts?
    1998 Javelin 400B
    1998 Johnson Venom 200hp

2. Alabama Bass Club Moderator
    That shouldn’t be a problem. People go up there in 16’ flat bottom boats with 15 or 20hp motors all the time.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjackson330 View Post
    I've been on PickWick a few times, but it's always been approx. 20' fiberglass boats. I know PickWick moves pretty quick and can get rough.

I recently bought a BassTracker 175 with a 60hp 4 stroke and was wondering if I should have any hesitations about launching around McFarland and running towards the dam, on a day the water is moving really fast. I have very limited knowledge of these aluminum boats (I've only used it around my neighborhood lakes) and I just want to be safe since I will probably have my daughter with me.

Any thoughts?
    Depends on what you call really fast. If they are spilling a lot of water (multiple flood gates) I would recommend you be especially careful around bridge pilings. Water can get real squirrely there. If just flow from generation you should be fine since you have some experience in the tailrace.

Just watch the wind especially around the mouth of Bear Creek. Can get mighty rough there with a bad wind.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PROCRAFT192 View Post
    Just watch the wind especially around the mouth of Bear Creek. Can get mighty rough there with a bad wind.
    ???? What has this got to do with fishing Wilson tailrace?

6. Member
    Thanks for the responses. I've seen a few smaller aluminum boats (one guy had a deer in his that he just shot), but I wasn't sure if any of those smaller aluminum boats made their way to the dam. I thought I'd be fine, but just wanted to ask before I traveled an hour and a half, with my 10 year old daughter, only to have safety issues with the current.
    1998 Javelin 400B
    1998 Johnson Venom 200hp