Thread: St Johns River

St Johns River

How's the fishing in early march? Me and my brother try to go to a new lake each year to fish, and we have landed on this one. Any tips or general locations would be much appreciated!

2. Member
    Usually George is very good that time of year, but hurricane and high water has wiped out almost all of the eel grass. Might want to go somewhere else.

3. Member
    Agreed, George is nothing like it was 3 years ago. I would pick the Harris Chain or Kissimmee Chain in March.
    Brad Krone

Palatka City Docks and south,which if you really want to get technical is up.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

5. Member
    I fish the river 90 percent of the time since I live by it. Can be amazing but tough with so much water to cover if you have not fished it. If I were making a trip to Florida I would fish I-4/south.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion922 View Post
    I fish the river 90 percent of the time since I live by it. Can be amazing but tough with so much water to cover if you have not fished it. If I were making a trip to Florida I would fish I-4/south.
    Not anymore. Hurricane Irma really wreaked havoc on the River south of Lake George. I-4 South was devastated and the fishing has been horrible.

Guides along the River from George South are actually taking their Clients to other area lakes to fish, that should tell you how bad it is. However the River Areas NORTH of Lake George seems to be doing quite well. Bag Limits are very good.

Lots of the Old Timers believe that the Current was so strong for so long that the fish got swept downstream on the months follows the Hurricane. Downstream is North for the St Johns.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    Not anymore. Hurricane Irma really wreaked havoc on the River south of Lake George. I-4 South was devastated and the fishing has been horrible.

Guides along the River from George South are actually taking their Clients to other area lakes to fish, that should tell you how bad it is. However the River Areas NORTH of Lake George seems to be doing quite well. Bag Limits are very good.

Lots of the Old Timers believe that the Current was so strong for so long that the fish got swept downstream on the months follows the Hurricane. Downstream is North for the St Johns.
    Thanks for info. Guess after deployment I will be sticking in my neck of the woods.

8. Member
    Thanks for the info guys!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion922 View Post
    Thanks for info. Guess after deployment I will be sticking in my neck of the woods.
    Believe it or not the High Water Mark was about 8 ft over the bank in most places. Water on rt 415 went from the Bridge north all the way up to the Park.

Now having said that if you can find Fish you usually will find a group, but finding them is or has been pretty tough.

Even the Wednesday Night Tourney held out of Whitehair Bridge/ Ed Stone Park has moved to a local lake the fishing was so bad. From what I heard if you caught 1 fish you were winning the Night.

Ouch...as a retired guy who lives 8 miles from SJR 2 Welaka area launches and fishes 3-4x a week...its been way worse than before Sept 2017 hurricane...
    plus some UNNEEDED overspraying AFTER that to boot which I SAW for the 1st time...

3 over 8# Nov 2015-Dec 2016 then zero since...best 3 in 2018...6.67/6.50 and 6.08...that was Lake George N half and up the river to the trestle to find those..

Recent top T-bags all under 15#...I won with 10+ last Nov...sad...hopefully big bass are deep with bait...
    my game is shallow cover using mostly swimbaits/topwater so maybe I am missing them ...

3 trips in 2019 so far, not a bass over 13 inches....and that was sneaky slow flipping a Dinger along green veg lines here and there above Welaka...

January sure the pits so far...I see "bass" deep on the Carbons...so maybe its going to get good fast as usual?

YES, much grass/veg is gone!...
    my 4 money banks do noT have ONE dollar pad on them after a year of waiting for it to come back...buzz kill...

Checked George 2x in Nov and Dec for 1 bass...the 25 or so PVCs guys ran a lot there have been pulled up...
    Some green around Drayton Island was spared by sprayers...

Going to be VERY INTERESTING when the ELITES pre-fish Feb 5-7...
    I was a Marshall in March 2016 so know exactly where 46 boats were in George...
    can they find anything near that much grass next month? Hummm...
    Last edited by reelman; 01-15-2019 at 04:35 PM.

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers