Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    My first was due to the Bassmasters shows. I always wanted one and finally bought a 396 used many years ago. Since then, I have had 4 more. Never has any serious issues, so I have stuck with the brand. I still look at others, but none have swayed me to make the move. I have my '11 now with about 15K in upgraded accessories, so I am in this one for quite a while longer LOL.

2. Member
    Is Ranger quality and resale better, worse, or the same compared to previous ownership?

3. Member
    I bought a Ranger because of their reputation for building quality boats. I run a 1992 482V Bassmaster Classic 20th Anniversary edition with 150 Fast Strike. I was told the original owner won the boat in a tournament back in 1992. I plan on repowering the hull if my fast strike ever goes. The boat has been fished hard it's whole life and doesn't have a single stress crack. I think that speaks volumes to the quality of the build.

4. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Yes but where is champion now? Ranger still sells a crap load of boats, I don't think that's by accident.
    Lol, I hear ya. My point is Ranger's don't ride well compared to several other boats....everything else is better though.

5. Banned
    A lady ran a stop sign and t-boned my then boat (Aries 2100) which i liked. Insurance totaled it and I went boat shopping. Found a good deal on the boat I now own and love it. Not at all sorry for the choice I made.

6. Member
    Started in 1977 with one of the first 400 Bass Trackers made, then moved up to a BassHawk 15-XL, then Hydrasports X-270, each time avoided Ranger because I thought they were overpriced hype. I had started fishing draw tournaments in 1986 and ended up in fishing in several Rangers in some pretty tough conditions. Finally realized Rangers were the real deal and ordered a 1991 361-V / GT 150. Owned only Rangers since.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

7. Banned
    Because it was a leftover and was $4k less than a Triton

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    I'll start...I had several Champions prior. They were all I knew. Wife's grandpa bought a 1995 482/175 that was crazy fast (69ish) to me when I was about 19 years old. I liked how stable it was and how much more storage it had them my Champs. It also seemed to be built better. Then I got more into tourney fishing and just fell in love with Rangers. Loved the quality of the trailer, to the gel and how they were so incredibly stable. My current boat isn't the biggest or fastest I've owned but I do think it's the best built boat I've owned and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it....After getting mine, my dad bought him a brand new one too....
    Like you Randy, I owned Champions before buying my Ranger. I had three of them total and liked them but there is something I like better about my Ranger. The Champs were great riding boats although when they went wider like with my 198 they gave up a little of that famous Champion ride like I had with the 203 before it. Again, they were very good boats. My Ranger is built better than any other boat I owned and total performance is better.

The reason I went with Ranger is I knew they were a proven top quality boat that I wouldn't have to worry about from a quality or still be in business (i.e. still get parts for) standpoint. I have been more than happy with my current boat and plan to keep it for a quite a while. If, though, I decided to buy a new rig now, I would surely buy another Ranger. They just do everything really well and look good doing it.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

9. Member
    I had a Champion I think it was the 186 with a 175 hp Mercury on it a great boat it drove like it was on a rail. Even though I loved my Champion I always felt as though I settled for second best, I owned the Champion for three years and sold it and bought a Ranger. I presently have another Ranger on order which will be number 16 of my new boat purchase.

I dreamed of having the best so I bought my first Ranger in 1992, a 374 and then bought another Ranger, 208VX in 2010. Still got the 208, one helluva boat.
    Ranger Forever

11. Member
    When I started fishing over 20 years ago, every time I saw a Ranger, I could only shake my head they were so awesomely beautiful. They were way out of my league back then! All through the years, I've always had that same response when seeing one. I finally reached a point in my life where I could get one. So I did! I now know why they are considered the Mack daddy of bass boats! Built like a freaking tank!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Here is why I chose Ranger

After walking through several competitor boats in the 18' range, the Ranger was built better. The lids, drainage, insulation, flotation, and components were above the others. The warranty, reputation, and resale value helped. One other selling point was that our club has several members with Rangers. I rode and drove a few of them and was very pleased with their performance.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

13. Member
    My first boat was a 76 Glastron Carlson closed bow CV16 with a Johnson 115 V4. Was a four seater and was a great boat to slalom ski behind. Sold that boat without a problem and was without one for a few years. Next was a Skeeter 18.5' DC Bass boat with a Johnson 150. Not a bad boat but after owning for a few years I noticed one of the tie down rings was loose after pulling a skier behind. Further investigation validated I had a transom rot issue. Sold it to someone that thought it was a easy fix and went without for several years later. Bought a bass boat one and one half years ago and only looked at Rangers because I knew that all of their later models were built with only one brand of Wood, Forest Wood, nothing else. Bought used and no regrets.

14. Member
    Always wanted a Ranger but had a Sketter and Stratos before finally
    buying a Ranger. The otherboats were Ok but not nearly the Quality
    of the Ranger. Have been fortunate to be able to have Rangers for the
    last 23 years. Their parts dept is second to none as where else
    can you buy parts for a 30+ year old boat. They were so far ahead of
    everyone else on their trailers and floatation. Until I see something better
    Ranger will always be in my garage.

15. Member
    I bought a used Ranger specifically because of the lack of wood in the transom. During my research, the 1990's era of Ranger were some of the best build quality on the market and I wanted something that will last me a very long time at a reasonable cost. So far, so good!
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

16. Member
    I have owned 3 rangers so far and a champion, Starcraft, bomber if anyone remembers them and also a sea nymph but fished out of a lot others and found ranger to be the best one out there.

17. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I fished a lot of draw tourneys years ago as a non boater and rode in most brands and models. Everyone in my club had a Ranger as well. I liked the rangers until I drew a guy with a 520VX and knew I'd own one. My current boat is a 2002 520 VX Ranger Cup edition and I can't talk myself into getting rid of it. I love everything about this rig.

Dale Sinclair original

18. Member
    I don't think you can get a better boat for the quality, finish and for resale value. I have Ranger Z520 Dual Console its probably my Fourth one I think there are awesome boat.

19. Member
    Quality and dealer network

20. Member
    I bought a new champion in 1996 first new boat then went to a bigger champ in 1999 anniversary edition then in 2002 went to a Triton 21 w/ 225 then in 2013 wet to a Triton 20xs all were great boats never got a chance to run a Basscat now my current boat is a Ranger 2014 Z521C single console, when at rest its the best platform hands down and when it gets nasty out she shines like a diamond just point and shoot forward, trailer is built well and tough as nails smooth when trailering Ranger builds a great boat in my opinion im glad mine is a pre Johnny Morris build, pultrusion is as strong as it gets ride is amazing in the 521 and there will always be something I don't like about a boat only I haven't found that with this one love m boat best fit for me and that's all that matters is what i think of my boat, fast enough for me at 54 yrs old my wife is my fishing partner and best friend wouldn't have it any different.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast