2006 Merc Pro XS 225 - Blown Power Head

I've got a 2006 Mercury 2006 Pro XS 225hp with a blown power head. #1 cylinder has a hole in it. No rhyme or reason it happened, the motor has been babied it's entire life. Smart-craft gauges show that I was up to temp when the failure happened, so it wasn't a cold seize or anything like that.

Serial Number is 1B287177

This power head is only 90 hours old (the motor has 260 total hours). The previous owner blew the original head when a rats nest got sucked into the intake (supposedly). He was able to file and insurance claim. There was a 1 year warranty, but not transferrable. I tried filing a claim, my insurance adjuster said there is nothing they can find that wasn't considered "mechanical failure".

I did just fill my tank at a new gas station that morning with 91 octane fuel, and added Mercury step 1 and 2 additives. I'm not implying that these items had anything to do with my issue, just wanting to paint the whole picture.

The rest of the motor is in tip-top shape - newer lower end unit, new seal kit in lower end, a few new relays, and not a scratch anywhere on the cowl.

What are my options? My local Merc Mechanic says that to install a remanufactured power head from Mercury, my cost will be $9k. To replace with a brand new long block (with new compressor, etc...) will be $10,500 - but this will only have a 1 year warranty as well.

My plan is to sell the boat after the 2019 season, and I'm looking to take as little of a loss as possible.
    Last edited by DrunkGoose; 01-10-2019 at 04:06 PM.

2. Member
    Find someone to repair the motor you have.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Apologies, Serial # is added to main post! That's totally my fault...

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you are looking to take the least/lowest loss possible- you may find it better to part out (or even trade) the current engine and repower.

Realistically (especially given the market flooded with later models of the same engine), you will not be likely to recoupe anywhere near what you invest to rebuild or replace the powerhead. The exception would be if you planned to use the engine for a couple of seasons. This is simply my honest opinion, and in this case you must form your own opinion that works for you and your wallet.

Would be interesting to see the top of the piston that failed (crown).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor