Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I’ll disagree. It’s not tree huggers, it’s a combination of pleasure boaters, waterfront owners and spray companies.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    I’ll disagree. It’s not tree huggers, it’s a combination of pleasure boaters, waterfront owners and spray companies.
    Agreed with one addition - somebody is getting huge kickbacks from the awarding of contracts for the chemicals/spraying. It’s probably set up thru several fictitous companies so it can’t be easily traced but there is simply too much money floating around with this process for somebody to make a fortune. Proving it will be next to impossible.

The thing that needs to be addressed also, as you Jim have mentioned earlier, is unbridled development. That’s going to be the toughest one to solve, in my opinion.

3. Member
    You guys talk a lot but you need to do the research, rather than just make statements you can't support. Here is a site to start learning about your commissioners and what, if any, skills they bring to the FWC, https://myfwc.com/about/commission/commissioners.

You get appointed to the FWC when the prevailing politicians validate how much special interest funds can be supplied to the politicians in charge of our state government. It has been this way for more than a half century and it doesn't make any difference as to party affiliation, who every is in charge (party line) will put their people to management.

Some of these commissioners are good people and some have their own motives; such as, contracts for spraying, when, where and how often. Some are more interested in the opportunities of being on a state board will help them further their careers, financial standings and egos.

The best way to improve the states environment, wildlife, fisheries and purchase land for hunters/fisherman/recreation is have a major non-profit organization that has a million members that speak for the outdoorsman for the future of Florida. That says being a financial contributor (membership) that supports the cause of the sportsman of Florida. To have a strong organization that supports the outdoors recreation it takes money, nothing is free. Many of your present organizations are splintered and doesn't speak for all outdoorsman, hunters, fishing, recreation, etc.

The question is, where to find the right organization that will have the clout of the people to push the agenda and stand up to politicians.

Many, many, many years ago I volunteered to assist FWC law enforcement, i.e....sit in the dark at night to help apprehend poachers, on management land, teach hunter safety, boating, etc. When you get to know the people in the field they will on occasion, tell you of the corruption in the FWC. At least it was their views.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-47 View Post
    You guys talk a lot but you need to do the research, rather than just make statements you can't support. Here is a site to start learning about your commissioners and what, if any, skills they bring to the FWC, https://myfwc.com/about/commission/commissioners.

You get appointed to the FWC when the prevailing politicians validate how much special interest funds can be supplied to the politicians in charge of our state government. It has been this way for more than a half century and it doesn't make any difference as to party affiliation, who every is in charge (party line) will put their people to management.

Some of these commissioners are good people and some have their own motives; such as, contracts for spraying, when, where and how often. Some are more interested in the opportunities of being on a state board will help them further their careers, financial standings and egos.

The best way to improve the states environment, wildlife, fisheries and purchase land for hunters/fisherman/recreation is have a major non-profit organization that has a million members that speak for the outdoorsman for the future of Florida. That says being a financial contributor (membership) that supports the cause of the sportsman of Florida. To have a strong organization that supports the outdoors recreation it takes money, nothing is free. Many of your present organizations are splintered and doesn't speak for all outdoorsman, hunters, fishing, recreation, etc.

The question is, where to find the right organization that will have the clout of the people to push the agenda and stand up to politicians.

Many, many, many years ago I volunteered to assist FWC law enforcement, i.e....sit in the dark at night to help apprehend poachers, on management land, teach hunter safety, boating, etc. When you get to know the people in the field they will on occasion, tell you of the corruption in the FWC. At least it was their views.
    FWCC does the best possible given the management. My deceased wife was at Regional HQ until she reached 25 years and moved to a softer job to accommodate her illness. The biologists are a thinning part of the functionality, but it’s been that way for awhile. And the LE positions pay very poorly compared to other options. As noted, there are developers on environmental boards, corrupt politicians in nearly all agencies, pre-printed agendas from Tallahassee, etc. At this point, I’m really encouraged by the new governor’s actions to date. He’s 40 and not nearly done in politics, plus he’s a native. Looks like he wants a high approval rating and I’m good with giving him one if he keeps turning the handle on the shredder.

5. Member
    Tampa Jim.......I agree with your post. There are many fine people in the FWC, some I still know and many that have moved on to retirement. I have a lot of respect for what these individuals do for low wages. I also agree in giving the Governor a chance to clean up, improve and hopefully establish this organization to the best possible for our sportsmen.

I am an old man that is Florida born and raised in Northwest Florida and never left the state, except for the Vietnam War, business and resettled in Central Fl. In the many years of the past I have had to deal with politicians (some as dirty as they can get, some thrown out of office) and they are not pleasant people except when they want your money.

6. Member
    Liking what I know he is doing thus far!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-47 View Post
    I am an old man that is Florida born and raised in Northwest Florida and never left the state, except for the Vietnam War, business and resettled in Central Fl. In the many years of the past I have had to deal with politicians (some as dirty as they can get, some thrown out of office) and they are not pleasant people except when they want your money.
    I still remember when Florida had a much lower population, only a few million people total.
    Orlando area, which prior to Disney had about 30,000 residents, now is close to that number.
    I’m from North Florida and plan to head home. Teen is moving into a dorm later this year.

8. Member
    I too remember the good ole days. I also remember when I was hired by the Orlando Sentinel in 69, the third day of work I was asked to attend a editorial meeting to sit in on the discussions. The first discussion, one of the editors said, Orlando is in trouble! Disney will be opening soon and this county is not ready for the crowds, land development and crime that will over take this area. Hell, we are in a lot of trouble. Nobody is planning for roads, except for Disney building roads to Disney. God help us because the politicians are all holding their hands out asking for donations to help them get what they want. And look at us now decades later, major crime, the environment raped by land developers, low wages, etc. and it will never get any better because of the self serving politicians.

My beautiful Florida has been destroyed for the almighty dollar!
    Last edited by B-47; 02-01-2019 at 07:30 AM.

9. Member
    Has anyone witnessed any spraying since the 28th..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12