Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lift Trailer a tad?!?

Looking to raise my trailer just 2 inches to get a 14” tire size to fit nicely… Currently have 175/80 R13 tire size and would like to go with a 14”.

What would be the best way to gain just a little more clearance under the fenders?

I thought about moving the springs from under the axle to above the axle – but I fear this will add an additional 4” or so and I think that is too much.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks!

2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Be aware that raising the trailer 2" will cause you to have to back into the water 11.5" further to reach the same level on a standard ramp. The 14" tire will give you more of a height increase making you back in even further. Better pack boots!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Be aware that raising the trailer 2" will cause you to have to back into the water 11.5" further to reach the same level on a standard ramp. The 14" tire will give you more of a height increase making you back in even further. Better pack boots!
    I've thought about that a bit, too. Being a light aluminum - I don't really have to back in much at all to launch/retrieve. Will another ft make a big difference? Not sure. I would prefer a more substantial tire under my trailer if I can swing it. I prefer Load Range D with Single Axle trailers.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfish11 View Post
    I've thought about that a bit, too. Being a light aluminum - I don't really have to back in much at all to launch/retrieve. Will another ft make a big difference? Not sure. I would prefer a more substantial tire under my trailer if I can swing it. I prefer Load Range D with Single Axle trailers.
    Really much easier to find a load range D in a 13" than a 14".
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Really much easier to find a load range D in a 13" than a 14".
    I was hoping to run Goodyear Endurance. Their 14's are load range D. If I can find decent D tires in 13, maybe I'll just stick with the 13's. Thanks CatFan!
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

6. Member
    Raise your fenders OR put longer shackles on. But that will not stop the tires from hitting the fender if you hit a big enough hole/bump. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    If you really want to raise it 2” get new leaf springs. Yours look decent but it’s an easy way to fpgain ground clearance. What is the difference in the Overall Diameter of your tire and the tire you want to put on?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    You could change out your leaf springs for 3500# springs.
    2019 Phoenix 721 ProXp
    2019-250 H.P. Mercury ProXs 4 Stroke V8 Serial# 2B531797

Quick look on tire rack and it looks like 14" GY vs tire the size you currently have is about 2" dia which would mean you would need 1". Unless you have unusually soft springs, and looking at your pics it looks like you could almost accommodate that increase with what you have. If needed spring shackles should take care of the rest. Make sure you check the width increase too

10. Banned
    2 inch longer shackles will give you that inch.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billwwar View Post
    You could change out your leaf springs for 3500# springs.
    I agree. I don't know the age and weight of your boat and trailer, but the leaf spring in your first picture looks like it is sort of flat and losing its original arch.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTRAK View Post
    I agree. I don't know the age and weight of your boat and trailer, but the leaf spring in your first picture looks like it is sort of flat and losing its original arch.
    A 14 inch rim is only 1/2 inch taller than a 13 inch. I'd say it all depends on the tire size. I doubt your present clearance is less than 1/2". As a rank amateur I'd say go with a 14 use-as-is, worst case extend shackles slightly. If it hits raise the fenders.

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    The rim size doesn’t matter, only the overall diameter of the tire. If the new tire is 2” taller than you will have 1” in height to accommodate for. The shackles are the easy way if they don’t fit as is...but they probably will. I suggest getting 1000lb heavier springs simply because yours aren’t arched that much and may be old; but I have no idea how old your set up is or the weight.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

14. Member
    Tiresize.com shows you have some options to upsize to a 14” wheel and retain the same 24” diameter tire but they are wider than your current setup. Could you fit a wider tire?

15. Member
    Get 15’s. Use tire size calculator to keep tire height 26-26.5”
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

16. Member
    move your fenders up instead.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

I went from 14" to 15" and couldn't tell the difference in space between the fender. It's been several years but if I remember right, the 15'' tire was only around ˝" taller...certainly not enough to matter. If I were you, I would go by the tire store and measure the tire you are going to use. I think you'll be happy to learn that you won't have to modify your trailer at all.

IMG_2832.JPG
    14"

IMG_2855.JPG
    15"
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Raise your fenders OR put longer shackles on. But that will not stop the tires from hitting the fender if you hit a big enough hole/bump. CJ
    A 14 will fit easily and it being a tin you don't have the weight enough to fles the springs .My nitro had 15" and I went to 17 " they look perfect and have never bottomed out

19. Member
    I did this to my trailer years ago. Magic tilt tandem axle trailer that utilized 13" wheels.... I contacted magic tilt and they said that the centralizer was the only thing different between trailers using the 13" vs 14" wheel. I purchased the centralizer... the support bracket may need to be changed as well, I opted to drill out a hole for them instead.

Another option if it hasn't been mentioned is to duplicate the circumference of your current combination with a 14" wheel.... would be a lower profile tire.

20. Member
    Use this tire size chart to find a 14" or 15" tire with the same, or close specs as your 13" tires. After opening the chart page. click on the the 175-80X13 tire, then click on "alternate sizes".

https://tiresize.com/chart/
    Last edited by Ed R; 02-09-2019 at 07:48 AM.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast