Towing with cover on 2019s.

First off I like the new covers and how they fit, but i have 1 problem when towing. The cover pulls up and over the rub rail at the consoles. I have also notice my windshields cracked. I would suggest if ur towing with the new covers take ur windshields off. I think that will also resolve the cover pulling up over the rub rail.
    Last edited by BMCD; 01-10-2019 at 05:08 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Good Advice.....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

3. Member
    The new cover is called a mooring cover for a reason. What they failed to tell you was you needed to upgrade to the black and white heavy Nitro cover for towing. That new strap on job is them cutting corners and saving money. Not made for towing but they define it as a mooring cover so Nitro is covered. No pun intended.
    Last edited by zeke4351; 01-11-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Yeah guess I have always had this option on all my Nitros, I have never upgraded to the better cover.

I actually like this cover for towing, with exception to it pulling up on the sides. I will try with the windshields removed which I think will resolve that issue.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I have the heavy duty one, so no real issues, but I always put a towel over each windshield to avoid rubbing on the cover.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    I have the heavy duty one, so no real issues, but I always put a towel over each windshield to avoid rubbing on the cover.
    On the rare occasions I tow with my cover, I use a section of a larger pool noodle with a slit in the center and place it over the windshield edge. It allows me to pull the cover down just a bit more without damaging the cover or the windshield. A towel tucked under the noodle would probably help too. I also have an old basketball cut open and placed over the TM prop so it doesn't damage that section even though the cover appears reinforced.

7. Member
    I also put a towell over the troll motor prop for padding
    before covering
    Cheers,
    FXMike

8. Member
    On the current Nitro site, both the standard and two tone covers are listed as "mooring". I just shot a note down to the factory to get their thoughts on this issue. The cost difference is only $100.

9. Member
    Does it not cinch down when tight to where it gradually pulls downward under the rub rail when you increase the tension? Is the line in the cover a rope or a strap style?

Its a Strap. Cinches down.

The wind pulls the cover downward between the dual console's, and pulls it up on the sides. No danger of the cover coming off. Like stated I have towed 3 hrs with it twice.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Longest tow I have ever made with my Z21 and the 911 CDC before it was 3 hours, never had any issues. More often than not, I leave the cover off when towing.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

12. Member
    Just got confirmation that both the standard and two-tone covers for the Z Series boats have the same material- there is no difference in material weight or type. The two-tone one is more expensive primarily due to the extra logo and the added built-in motor cover. I have spoken with several dealers from Wisconsin, Iowa, and Illinois areas and all state they are towable and have no reported issues. Biggest thing is to get it as tight as possible.

13. Member
    You should not tow with a cover, I don't care what kinda premium unicorn feathers are used to protect your boat or whatever Bass pro tells you. It will ware down the gelcoat over time no matter how "tight" you have it.

If I have to tow with a cover, its very short distances, beyond that, if you like your gel coat, do not tow with a cover.

B

I have heard that for years, many years. I don't think you will have this problem with the new covers coming with 2019s. But I doubt i'll change anyone's opinion
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I have heard that for years, many years. I don't think you will have this problem with the new covers coming with 2019s. But I doubt i'll change anyone's opinion
    I would agree except the fact if ANYTHING touches the gel coat over time it will wear it down. I have a 2018 cover and the cord gets tight but it will wear over time. It would be neat if they added a slot to the rubber rib the goes around the boat it(ratchet rope) could sit in a groove then there would be no contact with the boat except maybe on the top part of the boat mold.

Have u see then new covers?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

17. Member
    Have u see then new covers?
    I have not, but everything online looks the same as my 2018 custom cover so I can't say 2019 is better or worse or any different for that matter.

First off I like the new covers and how they fit, but i have 1 problem when towing. The cover pulls up and over the rub rail at the consoles. I have also notice my windshields cracked. I would suggest if ur towing with the new covers take ur windshields off. I think that will also resolve the cover pulling up over the rub rail.
    I only use cover while on fishing trips when off the water ... I don't tow with covers ... I think too much beating and banging goes on ... the water if raining will dry

19. Member
    I read same issues with the shields cracking on Nitro Facebook Owner page. I got a small tip and tried it and it seemed to work thus far. I bought 16 rubber washers and put them on both sides of shield. They wont come loose and have a little wiggle room now. I still would not pull with cover on unless you remove the shield or shields.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota