Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTTI View Post
    Unfortunately its it's in Jenks. I told the wife it's the wrong direction but Jenks has one of the best high school swimming programs in the state. We'll only be there 5 years or so i hope.
    We built in Jenks. Love it. Been here 5 years since moving from KC. But from Jenks originally

2. Member
    The best money saving tip I can give you on homes is to block Pinterest.

3. Member
    ...make sure a professional pre-termite treatment is done. I would want to be there when it is done. If it is a slab, termites will come up around the plumbing and through cracks that will eventually develop in the slab.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Stop by the site each day and to see what work was done and verify that it was done according to your expectations. Your contractor might be A+, but the subcontractors are where the problems occur. They are the ones who attempt to cut corners. If you find subpar work, immediately call the contractor and explain the problems that you've found. You're paying for this, so make sure that it's done to your expectations and specifications.

+1 on this. We've built 2 new homes and both times with good contractors but the subs were a different story. I made it a habit to visit every day or at least every other day. They may hate you in the end but you will catch a lot of mistakes or shoddy work before they get to closing day.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    Simmons builds about 1000 houses a year ,his partner has Capitol homes , together they build about 2000 homes a year
    They pretty well know what they are doing . They build all over Oklahoma. Have apartment complexes in several states,just make your color choices and pick out your options and the floor plan offered in the subdivision and move in . Yorktown?
    It's the Coleman.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRETT View Post
    We built in Jenks. Love it. Been here 5 years since moving from KC. But from Jenks originally
    I'm sure Jenks is fine it's just futher away from the lake's. I wanted to move more east when the time came.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

7. Member
    The wife and I are meeting with a builder today to get started on a new house for us. My one demand is to have a garage That goes all the way down the side of the house so I can back my boat in my truck in together and close the garage door.

8. Member
    Guys, did y'all miss he is buying a track home? Lot of good advice for a custom built but in the OP's case he will have very little imput. They will likely have 4-6 floor plans to choose from and MAY be able to pick some of the colors. Floor coverings, windows, doors, light fixtures are bought in bulk. It is basically "here is what we offer, which floor plan do you want" ?

9. Member
    Make a list of everything you want don't rush & today most builders give you a warranty.

10. Member
    Thanks for the help keep it coming. Lots of good advice weather it applies to me or not.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

11. Matt20xd
    I'm a little confused with the guys saying you had a great contractor but not subs. To me a contractor is only as good as his subs. Maybe I just have a different definition of what a good contractor is?
    There are a lot of smooth talkers out there that's for sure. Basically the used car salesman in the construction world.

12. Member
    Don't skimp on things to save some money thinking you will add or update it later. Expect delays and workers not being there on good weather days. Consider going larger on your electrical service.

13. Member
    He doesn't. Have to worry about the sub contractors this builder is 1 of the 3 biggest in the state of Oklahoma .he uses the same plumbers and electricians for the last 10 years and his own crews build the houses by the 1000's from starter homes to upper medium houses ,
    funny part is he had his own palatial palace built by someone else. 3-1/2 year process,

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    funny part is he had his own palatial palace built by someone else. 3-1/2 year process,
    "A man's got to know his limitations"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123