Thread: Trolling Motor

Trolling Motor

Just looking to see what size trolling motor shaft most people are using on the Z series. Deciding between the Ultrex 45 and 52. I am buying a new Z21 and wasn't sure how far out of the water the Nitro sat when resting. I like to fish shallow but also do get into some rough water and don't want it popping out of the water all the time.

2. Member
    Go with a 52. A 45 will probably "pop" out of big water.
    While I don't have a Z21 (I have an older NX-882) I invested in a new motor last spring. Did lots of research and went with a 54...a 45 would have worked but I'm guaranteed that the prop on the 54 will stay in the lake. I can always adjust up it if I really get shallow.

3. Dogfish_Jones
    45" in lakes if that all you fish. 52" if you fish wide open lakes that can produce big waves. I personally have a 45" on my Terrova but I fish lakes on a river chain most of the time and never had a problem with it popping out of the water.

4. Member
    Nitro Z21's come with a Minn Kota Maxxum 42 inch, so a 45 inch Ultrex should be fine. That's what I have on mine.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5

45"
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

6. Member
    Not many big lakes in Jersey. Potomac river is a scary body of water and the 45 is plenty. 52 if you're going to Erie ;)
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

45" is the standard shaft on Nitros. I feel that is enough fishing in swells. The 52 would really get in the way when shallow fishing.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by potomacbassin View Post
    Not many big lakes in Jersey. Potomac river is a scary body of water and the 45 is plenty. 52 if you're going to Erie ;)
    Thanks for your reply! Yeah not many big lakes in NJ but I fish all over. Potomac, Flats, Champlain, Hudson

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    45" is the standard shaft on Nitros. I feel that is enough fishing in swells. The 52 would really get in the way when shallow fishing.
    Thanks. That's what I am worried about it getting in my way when fishing shallow. I think there will be more times its in my way than it would be popping out of the water.