2003 Evinrude 200 ficht

I’m looking at a Stratos with a 200 ficht on it and hear a ton of not so good things about them can someone please Enlighten me on maybe why or why not to purchase this boat with this motor on it. The former owner has never had an issue with it and he is the original owner.

2. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    I wouldn't pay much attention to what you read or hear. I have its big brother (04 225 HO) and its been a great motor. 800 hours on it. My advice/opinion is worth about 3 cents but here goes. These engines are very sophisticated and operate within severely tight tolerances. Which means schedule/preventive maintenance is a must!!! Good oil and fuel are a MUST. A strong high cranking amp battery is a MUST. Running XD 100 full synthetic oil is a plus.

You will see a few posts down I have a post about mine and an issue I have been having. I'm 95 percent convinced the issue is on me from poor maintenance on my side. I have a couple injectors stuck open and I am leaning towards bad gas or a fuel line deteriorating from the inside out. If you buy it you also have some very knowledgeable E rude technicians on here who are more than willing to help you resolve any issue that you may have .

My engine is very stout and has been very good to me. If the engine checks out ok I would 100% buy it without hesitation.

The FICHT debacle was on lower HP engines and when OMC still owned E Rude. The 03 is a Bombardier engine and in my opinion a very good one.

3. Member
    Awesome thank you sir for the info.

4. Member
    mines runs great BUT i would buy boat in the lower price range to re-power it if needed later
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Ask the owner why it only has 100 hours on it? Bring the lie detector with you.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Ficht, Evinrude, Yamaha, Mercury, Honda, Suzuki insert whatever X brand you want...I had rather have a 16 year old motor with 1000 hours than have a 16 year old motor with 100 hours. At 1000 she still has a lot of life in her as long as proper maintenance was done and it had good quality fuel and oil ran through it. At 100 hours it has sit a lot. Sitting for a boat motor "in my opinion" is a bad thing because they don't sit well like most other combustion engines. It needs to be ran on a regular basis.

Now I put north of 900 hours on my Ficht before I traded it. I have been a lifelong Evinrude/Johnson owner. I hope to continue to run Evinrude for many more years but I will not let my loyalty to the brand turn a blind eye to the Ficht motors. Yes I had one with nearly 1000 hours and I do realize it was the early (97-99) small block Ficht's that gave OMC a black eye reputation and the OP is asking about a 2003 big block but I would still be leary of that motor. Again a red flag for me is 100 hours. It's low but its not what I call "proven" if that analogy make sense. The one and only thing is (and forgive my ignorance) but I "think" 2003 is actually a BRP manufactured motor but OMC technology. It's somewhere around 2003 if my memory is correct Evinrude went away from using the OMC Ficht technology and went to BRP technology. If the motor in question was a 2003 BRP (DI) Direct Injection motor it would make me feel better than an OMC Ficth technology motor.

It's just plain and simple when talking to most boat dealers regarding trying to trade or sell a boat with Ficht motor. Most will point blank tell you they will allow you X amount for the boat but the motor has $0 to very little trade in value. This is how I would approach making an offer. I would not insult the owner with a unreasonably low offer but I would make it clear his motor may not be the year class with a black eye but it still has the ficht technology and no dealer will allow him full market value. If you love the boat and can get it a good enough price you can still afford to re-power if necessary and still not be to deep in it financially then go for it. Otherwise walk away and find something else.
    Last edited by JR19; 01-10-2019 at 08:15 PM.