Painting Lower Unit

Hey Guys, I have to paint my lower unit and I want to make sure I do it right the first time. It's a white evinrude etec so I bought the evinrude touch up paint but my question is more about prep work and what primer to use. I had the skeg repaired so it is bare aluminum at the bottom and the rest of the lower is in pretty good shape, should I try blending it? Or just repaint the whole thing?

2. Member
    Sand the upper painted area. On the bare wipe it down with acetone and also the painted area, to remove any oils. Use zink primer on the bare area. Sand and apply the finish coat to the full lower unit.. If its just the skeg,, just do that area. Should be able to mask the bottom of the gear casing and get by with out noticing

Thank you, that's what I had in mind, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I was at the hardware store and the Zinc Chromate Primer they had was yellow. Does that sound right?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinnis_Fishing16 View Post
    Hey Guys, I have to paint my lower unit and I want to make sure I do it right the first time. It's a white evinrude etec so I bought the evinrude touch up paint but my question is more about prep work and what primer to use. I had the skeg repaired so it is bare aluminum at the bottom and the rest of the lower is in pretty good shape, should I try blending it? Or just repaint the whole thing?
    Where did you buy your paint? Do they not have the appropriate primer? The primer color can have an effect on the final coverage color.
    Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Z7sport View Post
    Where did you buy your paint? Do they not have the appropriate primer? The primer color can have an effect on the final coverage color.
    I got the paint from the evinrude dealer however they don't not have primer. Just the paint.

6. Member
    Try the information on this forum thread for info. It lists an Evinrude site to order from if you can't find anyone on here to help. You might also try listing your questions on the motor site on here for Evinrude maybe someone on there has some past experience doing this on your brand engine.

https://community.evinrude.com/t5/Owner-s-Zone/Evinrude-Touch-Up-Paint/td-p/11788/page/
    Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!
    Dennis

I finnished repainting hte lower this weekend and it turned out great. I gave the aluminum a light sand to rough it up then rubbed it with Acetone. I sprayed 3 light coats of zinc chromate primer and 4 light coats of Evinrude touch up paint. The paint sprayed well and it looks amazing. I was able to slowly blend the new paint into the old paint and you can barely tell the difference. I will let it cure until spring as I will not be able to use it until April anyway, then I'm going to wet sand it and use a polishing compound.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinnis_Fishing16 View Post
    Thank you, that's what I had in mind, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I was at the hardware store and the Zinc Chromate Primer they had was yellow. Does that sound right?
    Yes that is the stuff. Sorry for the delay getting back to you.
    Glad you got it taken care of.

9. Member
    use a self etch primer after scuffing and wiping down with acetone, then paint