99 Merc 200 EFI alarm after a repair - beep beep beep

Serial # 0G938597
    had a bogging issue and could visibly see stator was bad upon inspection. Bought CDI stator and 2 ignition Packs (and new trigger since the flywheel was going to be off). Took it to merc mechanic when I figured out I needed tool to pull the flywheel and he replaced the parts for me. Motor ran great. However

first time out the alarm would start going off at 4K rpm or above with the intermittent beep. Oil reservoir was very low so I added a gallon of oil, topped of reservoir in motor just in case and alarm still sounds when I hit 4K rpm.
    I loosened cap on reservoir to confirm oil is flowing from oil tank in boat to reservoir in motor.

i noticed voltage gauge was showing 11 at idle and would hit 13 once up on plane. Given it just started after replacing these parts, should I be considering a voltage issue? Anything else to check? Mechanic is on vacation and I would like to get back on the water

2. Member
    checked for water in filter ?????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And... is the engine mounted oil tank 100% full, with ZERO air space?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I will do a jar test on the fuel in the filter tonight.
    I loosened the cap on the reservoir in the motor and let it overflow so it should not have any air. I will try to use a light to look at it. If I loosen the cap now wil that potentially be putting air back in it?

5. Member
    shouldn't put air in
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    did not see any water separation in the jar. fuel was a little more yellow than I would prefer but no water.

7. Member
    oil reservoir in the motor is full

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If it's a FAST BEEPING that occurs at that RPM, it's likely a problem related to the oil warning module, rotation sensor/magnet, GROUNDS FOR OIL WARNING MODULE OR OTHER RELATED GROUNDS ON TOP OF BLOCK, Water in Fuel Filter, Wiring Problem with filter sensor lead, loss of spark on one cylinder (just to name a few for starters).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    11 volts is low for idle and 13 is somewhat low for on plane, but check it with a VOM at the battery, dash gauges aren’t always correct. Did you have battery tested when all the ignition parts were replaced? What battery are you using?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

10. Member
    interstate
    got 12.56 on the klein meter in the barn in the cold

11. Member
    Is it a starting battery or deep cycle? It’s recommended my Mercury to only use a wet cell starting battery with those motors, if not could lead to electrical problems such as burned regulators and such.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

12. Member
    starting battery

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If it's a FAST BEEPING that occurs at that RPM, it's likely a problem related to the oil warning module, rotation sensor/magnet, GROUNDS FOR OIL WARNING MODULE OR OTHER RELATED GROUNDS ON TOP OF BLOCK, Water in Fuel Filter, Wiring Problem with filter sensor lead, loss of spark on one cylinder (just to name a few for starters).
    i drained tank and changed filter. There was no sign of water in fuel
    The mechanic ran motor and was not seeing any drops in voltage or a miss. He said he unplugged the sensor and no change? He then replaced the oil warning module. Alarm still goes off right at 4 k rpm. Since the motor is running great, no loss of power or miss, could you still have loss of spark?
    Given that the motor has new coils, stator, trigger and ignition packs and then the alarm started going off, I have to think the issue is somewhere there.

I went through this last year, and in my case it turned out the oil injection warning module was the culprit. There are several troubleshooting steps that lead me to the module. If you search my thread from last summer it might help you get yours fixed.
    1998 Ranger R-91 Intracoastal
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI (S/N OG680217)
    Tempest A45 25P (no jackplate)

15. Member
    The mechanic replaced the oil warning module and it still is going off right at 4K rpm

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    See above.

17. Member
    Saga continues....so the low oil warning module has been replaced, oil motion sensor and magnet, tank drained and no water in tank or filter, grounds checked, good voltage. Oil gear rotates properly and no sign of damage. Alarm still goes off right at 4K rpm. Mechanic is baffled. The mechanic disconnected the oil detonation sensor today. Alarm stops going off at 4K but goes off at 5800 rpm after doing this. Any ideas as he and colleagues are at a loss

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please verify what the mechanic disconnected- it wasn't an "oil detonation sensor".

Maybe Oil and detonation sensors ?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Member
    Or Oii rotational ​sensor?
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay