2006 190 TX with 115 Optimax

The tachometer on the boat isn't working correctly. Just gives me crazy readings that seems to jump all over the place. Anyone have any idea where I should start to trouble shoot the issue? At higher RPM's the boat will give me a continuous beep until I slow the boat down. The boat runs great at 35 MPH (GPS). The boat has a 20 pitch prop. Just wondering if I should be getting a bit more speed out of the boat. Thanks for any info.

2. Member
    Can't help with the tach. My 2018 190 TX w/ 90 hp four stroke easily gets over 40 mph. I have the stock prop
    whatroads - A pun on the "information super highway"
    Tracker 190 TX
    90 hp Merc
    Fortrex 80 w/ 52" shaft

3. Member
    There is a selector switch on the back of the tachometer that sets the tach for the number of cylinders your motor has. It has several positions. Take a small screwdriver and turn it back and forth a couple clicks in each direction several times and then return it to the original position. The switch contacts can get oxidized and switching it back and forth usually cleans the contacts.

The alarm can be caused by several things. Has it had the water pump serviced recently?

4. Member
    That fixed the tachometer! Thanks Lowerider58. Having a new impeller put in next week. Thanks for the info.

5. #FRB
    On the beeping at higher rpm's check your fuel lines. The 01 Optimax in my friend's Grandpa's Champion did that and it was caused by fuel starvation. I told my buddy that I've seen a primer bulb cause that issue and when he went to replace it the bulb was full of crap from the old lines. Replaced everything he could and problem solved. It would also get up on plane and acted like it wanted to pass everyone then nosedive down into the low 50's instead of holding mid-upper 60's.

The other issue it could be is the oiler not working properly. At least that was the case on my friend's Merc XRi.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

6. Member
    I was able to track down the beeping alarms. I failed to mention in the previous post that I was also getting 4 beeps every two minutes. At first I didn't think the two were connected but they were. The float in the oil tank is bad and was giving me a low oil warning even know there was plenty of oil in the tank. Checked the sensor first and it was fine I then jumped the computer sensor side with a 14 gauge wire and of course the 4 beeps went away. Ran the boat for a brief period and the continuous beep went away and the boat ran great. My guess is the engine goes into guardian mode when it senses low oil. I have read many places that the floats in those tanks going out is a common problem. My next step is to replace the oil tank only problem is the tank isn't cheap. Thanks for all reply's.

7. Member
    Can you just replace the float or pick up? I don't have knowledge of your engine but on my previous Yamaha I had a tank seam separate and I was able to buy a tank and transfer the float/pick up to the new tank.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

8. Member
    The float is not replaceable on the Mercury tanks.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    The float is not replaceable on the Mercury tanks.
    Well, that sucks.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

10. Member
    It sure does!

11. Member
    I disconnected the wires going to my tank to eliminate the beep. I just keep an eye on the my tank. all is good.