Lower Unit oil disappearing

When I changed my LU oil on my 99 OX66 200HP, there was only about half of the amount I put in it. No water in the oil but I assume a leaking seal. Do I need to put new seals in or like someone else has said just check it once a month and top it off? Also, how much should it cost to replace seals?

Thanks

not sure of the cost but if it was mind I would have it replace or change it myself. never can tell when it will blow out and lose all the oil and lower unit.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

3. Member
    Pressure test at a minimum. If it doesn’t hold, replace them.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

4. Member
    I had a 99 225 that did the same thing. I had the lower unit resealed. Next season same problem. I was told that because of the way Yamaha puts the seals in and high rake props puts a side load on the shaft and lets small amounts of oil out and over time it gets low. So I started checking it once a month and could always add a couple ounces. I think I would have it resealed to be on the safe side and then check it once in a while.

5. Member
    A mechanic told me Yamaha puts inner seal to keep oil in and the outer seal to keep water out. Said that is the way salt water lower units are made and for fresh water they don't need the outer to keep salt water out, that it should be same direction as the inner seal. Can anyone confirm this, just wondering if he is BSing me.

6. Member
    Mine has lost oil for 14 years.
    I just refill mine every couple months.
    Never have seen a drop of oil anywhere and no oil on inside of the prop hub.

7. Member
    I have been running a ZX 250 for 7 years & I change the lower unit oil annually. Have never seen any evidence of leaking or water in the oil and it is always has less than full oil. Yes I too have questioned this phenomenon as well but has not been an issue however if I did not regularly change lower oil it I feel like over time it would eventually be a serious issue.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    A mechanic told me Yamaha puts inner seal to keep oil in and the outer seal to keep water out. Said that is the way salt water lower units are made and for fresh water they don't need the outer to keep salt water out, that it should be same direction as the inner seal. Can anyone confirm this, just wondering if he is BSing me.
    That is how it is normally done. EXCEPT he is wrong on both seals facing IN. If you look up Yamaha's specs on the seal install they say to face BOTH seals so the lips will face OUT and this would keep water from entering into the lower unit. Now a spring loaded seal is designed to seal toward the direction of the lip so in this case oil will be seeping by these seals would be a normal thing as being reported by many people, me included. I guess I would rather check and replace a bit of gear lube once and awhile VS having water in the oil. I have a problem when replacing these seals doing it the way Yamaha instructs. When I reseal mine I will install them with the inner one facing in and one facing out just to see how it works. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

9. Member
    Wonder why they they can’t use a dbl lip seal on the inner? Seems like an easy solution.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    Wonder why they they can’t use a dbl lip seal on the inner? Seems like an easy solution.
    In a way they are, I call it a dust lip but from memory it is not spring loaded. So when the seal does not see any differential pressure they will weep kinda like a o-ring swivel fitting on a hose. Takes pressure to seal them. Why does Yamaha tell people to break in their SHO the worst way possible! With a ton of proof it does not work. And keep doing it!! cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    That is how it is normally done. EXCEPT he is wrong on both seals facing IN. If you look up Yamaha's specs on the seal install they say to face BOTH seals so the lips will face OUT and this would keep water from entering into the lower unit. Now a spring loaded seal is designed to seal toward the direction of the lip so in this case oil will be seeping by these seals would be a normal thing as being reported by many people, me included. I guess I would rather check and replace a bit of gear lube once and awhile VS having water in the oil. I have a problem when replacing these seals doing it the way Yamaha instructs. When I reseal mine I will install them with the inner one facing in and one facing out just to see how it works. CJ
    I may have worded it wrong but he did say the seals were different directions and he installs them the same.