Not familiar with evinrude but maybe someone can help

If I have a boat with a 1998 175 ficht and wanted to swap to a 2018 etec will the existing throttle and gear linkage connect to the new engine like merc or Yamaha does? Also would I need to install any type of gauge that would register engine alarms and warnings?

Thanks in advance

2. Member
    I upgraded from an older Johnson to a brand new Etec. The controls were compatible along with the system check gauge that I was already using. A quick call to an Evinrude dealer should give ya an exact answer though.

3. Member
    Anything 150HO and up is a G2, so unless your buying a noncurrent G1 or something 150 and down it will be a G2 and new controls.

As far as gauges if you have a HDS Carbon, HDS Live, or just recently a current Garmin GPSMAP then you wont need anything since they will integrate with the G2 engines. If those are not an option you could just use your current gauges but you would not be able to transfer between hand and foot if your get a foot throttle. Option 3 would be to just install a new ICON 3.5cs round gauge.

4. Member
    I upgraded from a 2004 Johnson 150 to an E-Tec G2 150 HO. My system check gauge and other analog gauges with the digital to analog control package worked perfect. I got the E-Link wireless module for transmission of the G2 motor data to my smartphone.

It would be a 150. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    It would be a 150. Thanks for the info!
    If it is the G1 150 HP, you are in good shape. Have your dealer check out the items first as they are already over 20 years old and may be in not the best shape. If it is the G2 model, then you will need new controls and wiring.

What model number is the motor that you are considering?
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

It is a G2. Most likely not worth going that route if the wiring and controls have to be swapped.

8. Member
    You can reuse gauges key switch and probably prop. New rig kit that contains the wiring and controls is about $1000.

Right now you can get the free rigging with a G2 and a 5 year warranty. Your other choice is 10 years of coverage and you pay for the controls, etc.

Evinrude does have conversion kits where you can use your old gauges and mechanical controls if you wish. Talk with your dealer about your options.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !