Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rich Purington

That cover will scratch your boat!!

Heard that so many times when it comes to towing with the cover on. Is there a cover that is made that won't scratch while your towing?
    I have heard tricks like wrapping shrink wrap around the boat on and just below the bumper trim, then put on cover and tow.

Have a sunbrella cover and curious how it works towing.
    2018 Puma FTD
    250 ProXS

2. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Shipping wrap your boat Rich!!

3. Banned
    Yes, get some shipping wrap at HD or Lowes and wrap it and then put the cover on. I do it anytime I tow more than a few hours if they're calling for rain... Dan

4. Member
    I don’t usually put the cover on, but have towed my Ranger with it’s factory cover several thousand miles. No scratches.

5. Banned
    I haven't covered my boat while towing in around 25 years!

6. Member
    I don't get it either. I have towed all my boats with a cover and never once had any type of damage. Oh well I guess some people have that problem.

7. Member
    I tow without...
    however I remember once being behind a guy with a brand new Ranger that had a loose strap with a metal buckle...it had pounded most of the finish off the big Merc and beat the crap out of the transom! I saw him later at a gas station....it was pretty sad.

8. Member
    Sunbrella “Supreme” will not scratch your gel
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Sunbrella “Supreme” will not scratch your gel
    That's what I got, but only for covering boat if staying overnight, not transporting.

I fix several boats a year, not just bass boats that have been towed with a cover....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

To each his own, but I will not tow with a cover.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

12. Member
    When I bought my boat in January in a neighboring state a couple years ago the dealer installed the cover and we made the 6 hour trek home with snow, cinder and mag chloride covered roads. The cover trashed the painted finish of my tin boat on the ride home from the dealer...the cinders acted like sand paper...it was lovely unwrapping it when we got home, let me tell you
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

13. Banned
    Spend the money and have a custom cover built. Towed with the cover on everywhere from 10 min to 10 hours for 15 years only time cover came off was at the water or in the garage. Not one mark from the cover.

14. Member
    I’ve towed my Skeeters with the factory Skeeter cover and a couple custom covers without issues. In fact I usually always tow my boats with the covers on and have never had any issues...

15. Member
    It depends on the design of the cover. Correctly designed, you can tow forever and not damage your boat. It would need to be custom designed for your boat, with the sides going just below the rub rails, and the cover tight.

16. Member
    As far as I am concerned the cover has to be custom fitted and fit tight. If it flaps it is going to do something to the gelcoat on the boat. The cover will keep the boat dry and clean from the road scum when it rains.

17. Member
    I owned a Procraft 200 super pro that only took one 10 hour trip to trash the looks on the cap. Factory cover . Black flake less cap was almost white in spots. Although it wet sanded out, No more towing with a cover for me without under protection.

18. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I tow my little tin Triton with its cover on but only for the 15 miles between my house and where I keep it at my moms house. It’s a generic cover but it has 6 tie downs per side so it stays in place and doesn’t flap in the wind. It hasn’t scratched my boat one bit but I wouldn’t tow any type of distance with it on.

Any time I see someone towing with a cover I pay attention to see if it’s flapping anywhere or if any straps are off. I know how I’d feel if it happened to me.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

19. Member
    I also towed my boat with the ranger cover on & never had any issues usually when its raining it has to fit right & tight so it don't flap around.

20. Member
    I only travel with the cover on the bad days as I don’t like road spray with oil and grease in my boat carpet ,seats and electronic screens . I only had one cover that scratched my gel coat . I fixed it by gluing felt pads in the area that scratched after that no problems .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast