Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Banned
    The four boats I’ve owned, I’ve towed with a cover several times on each of them. Never once noticed a scratch. They were all custom covers though, so maybe that’s the difference.

2. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    20 years been towing with my cover no scratches it has a felt on the spots that touch painted and I do use a spray wax before covering

3. Banned
    I have pulled an aluminum boat and a fiberglass boat with a $150 walmart cover, 2,200 miles round trip and never had an issue.

If there is anything hard between your cover and the gel you will get scratches. I run two long pieces of rubber mesh, similar to what you put in tool draws or under rugs, along the top cap on both sides under the cover. Its an extra step but this completely eliminated the problem for me.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

5. TJNYSNP
    Shrink wrapping your boat so you can put a cover on it when you tow it.... You'll be the talk of your fishing club with that behavior! haha

6. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I'd rather they talk than have scratches!!

7. Member
    I have been towing boats (Triton and Phoenix) with the cover on for 10 years for THOUSANDS of miles with not a single scratch. The cover has to be tight (not able to put your fingers between the cover and the boat). If its loose it will scratch. If you want to put a boat condom on before the cover, have at it.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

8. Member
    I towed my Ranger with the Ranger cover from Grand Prarie Alberta to Central Ontario. The quality ranger cover scratched it up pretty good with road grime, brine and salt getting between it and the boat. If I tow to Florida I will spend the 10 minutes to shrink wrap before leaving.

9. Scraps
    The Phoenix cover is so easy to handle I'll tow with it on if it's damp or if it rained. I don't like rolling a cover up wet. I've gotten "scuff" marks below the rub rail but no scratches. They show up at the spots where the cross stitching meets the bottom of the cover.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Agree that scuffs is a better term than scratching.

I think the mistake many make is rolling up a dirty cover to take it off the boat. If the cover's dirty you're rolling the padded inside on the dirty outside of the cover.
    Better to pull the cover all the way to the front so that you have "outside on top of outside" and then fold it up from there. Get enough grit on the inside of a cover from rolling it and you're bound to end up with scuffs or scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellevue Bobber View Post
    Heard that so many times when it comes to towing with the cover on. Is there a cover that is made that won't scratch while your towing?
    I have heard tricks like wrapping shrink wrap around the boat on and just below the bumper trim, then put on cover and tow.

Have a sunbrella cover and curious how it works towing.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This pertains to cheap non custom covers. I have had 3 boats with Custom covers, not one cover has damaged my boats. Any long distance I will tow with the cover on. No shrink wrap. Guys will spend $50K - $80K on a boat and equipment but won't spend the money on a custom cover.

a

Another one

Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 01-20-2019 at 07:11 AM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlwfish View Post
    I’ve towed my Skeeters with the factory Skeeter cover and a couple custom covers without issues. In fact I usually always tow my boats with the covers on and have never had any issues...
    Custom Skeeter cover tows flawless!

Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    Covers are for stowing not for towing. To each his own.
    Wait until a cigerette from another vehicle ends up in your boat. You won't know it until you see that ball of fire tailgating you. Then you chit yourself trying to unhook the boat . To each his own.

And it only takes once

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123