Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Rich,
    This cover will not scratch your boat. My third one with no issue. Just have to get it tight.

I have towed thousands of miles with an Aurora Sunbrella lowprofile cover on. I do this every year. Never a scratch. As has already been said, make sure it is tight and not flapping.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    I always tow with the cover on. Keeps the inside clean.
    Been from Jersey to SC and back, never had a problem! Key is to keep it tight like 06 SB said. You can also Saran wrap the top for extra ease of mind before you put the cover on.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwhitten View Post
    Rich,
    This cover will not scratch your boat. My third one with no issue. Just have to get it tight.
    Rich:

Mike is right. Assuming that your cover is the one supplied by the factory from BCB (Aurora made), it is the Sunbrella SUPREME fabric. It is a step up from the regular Sunbrella with its added soft flocking adhered to the back, and it will not scratch your boat. I tow with mine on when the weather is bad, and have no fear at all. Have done so with my P2 for four years now. I had the Aqualon fabric on my previous Cat, and would not tow with it. Like mentioned, keep it as tight as possible and adjust the poles accordingly so the edge is over the rub rail.

2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I've towed with Sunbrella covers for years without any damage to my boat, and it helps keep the road grime out of the boat. But as said before to each his own, I always tow with the cover on
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    I tow without...
    however I remember once being behind a guy with a brand new Ranger that had a loose strap with a metal buckle...it had pounded most of the finish off the big Merc and beat the crap out of the transom! I saw him later at a gas station....it was pretty sad.
    I don't have a metal buckle on my ranger cover? Never seen a ranger cover with a metal buckle??? I tow with my cover on all the time, ranger covers fit like a glove and only have 3 secure points. Two at the rear corners with ratchet strap and one belly strap, never had an issue with scratches...

Covers are for stowing not for towing. To each his own.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    Agree

9. Member
    I didnt even know towing with a cover was big deal till now

I don't tow with a cover. Only use it if I am parked outside overnight.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Rich:

Mike is right. Assuming that your cover is the one supplied by the factory from BCB (Aurora made), it is the Sunbrella SUPREME fabric. It is a step up from the regular Sunbrella with its added soft flocking adhered to the back, and it will not scratch your boat. I tow with mine on when the weather is bad, and have no fear at all. Have done so with my P2 for four years now. I had the Aqualon fabric on my previous Cat, and would not tow with it. Like mentioned, keep it as tight as possible and adjust the poles accordingly so the edge is over the rub rail.

Slick looking boat man. Post a pick of the whole boat without the cover.

12. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    Respect that, Matt, but no problem towing my Champ with the Aurora made for it, but have to make sure it is tight with zero flapping. The saran wrap is also a good idea, as Al can testify...but as you say, not every one will agree.

13. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Winter salt, brine, and gravel, semi truck trailer grease, cigarettes tossed out windows, road grime, dirt roads etc... So many reasons to cover on long trips especially in the winter. I didn't buy a cover to only keep dew off the boat at night. Too each there own!

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    Winter salt, brine, and gravel, semi truck trailer grease, cigarettes tossed out windows, road grime, dirt roads etc... So many reasons to cover on long trips especially in the winter. I didn't buy a cover to only keep dew off the boat at night. Too each there own!
    on a nice summer sunny day I don't mind showing off the boat but those nasty storms especially in the early and later part of the season my boat gets covered. Saves the boat from getting absolutely filthy but I agree to each thier own.

15. Member
    I never tow with cover. Did it once on my new ranger and it scratched the gel coat bad. Plastic wrap if u must wear a cover

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter991 View Post
    I never tow with cover. Did it once on my new ranger and it scratched the gel coat bad. Plastic wrap if u must wear a cover
    Really eh, I've never had that issue. Odd

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Really eh, I've never had that issue. Odd
    It can happen. I had a cover made by Dowco on a Nitro and it would scratch the crap out of the gelcoat.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

A cover made of Sunbrella Supreme will not scratch your boat. Others require a liner or covering to protect against abrasion.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    I tow without...
    however I remember once being behind a guy with a brand new Ranger that had a loose strap with a metal buckle...it had pounded most of the finish off the big Merc and beat the crap out of the transom! I saw him later at a gas station....it was pretty sad.
    This

I had a custom cover on my new Charger. One of the back straps broke and just pounded the crap out of the gel. I never towed covered again.

I hate road grunge! I tow with the cover if it is going to rain. Once you get that garbage juice in your carpet it will never all come out. On long distance trips I prefer to tow without the cover when dry. If the inside of your cover is dirty it will scratch the boat.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast