Ram or Ballzout on 201?

Getting ready to mount Helix 9 si gen2 at console on my 08 201 and wanted to know if anyone had pics of the ballzout mount at the console? I have seen pics of the ram mounts on similar boats but wanted to compare so I can decide which mount to go with. Some have said the ballzout is not as adjustable is this true? TIA for any feedback.

2. Member
    I have an 08 200, but I believe the consoles are similar. I put a helix 10 at my console on a 12" balzout mount late last year. The balzout mount does not have the infinite fine adjustments the ram mounts do. The ram mounts clamps down on the rubber balls, but the balzount mounts have little ball like "teeth" in the joints that rest in little pockets. It somewhat resembles a gear, but with ball and socket teeth. Ill try to remember to take a picture later to show what I'm talking about. It should make sense when you see it.

The trick with the balzout mount is that you have to be careful with how you mount the base so that the unit ends up where you want it.

3. Member
    Thanks for the response RD. From what I have read they say the Ballzout will not adjust like the Ram mount but to me the Ballzout looks much sturdier than the Ram. Please post a pic if you can so I can see what looks like. Thanks again.

4. Member
    Here's two pictures of how it looks on my boat. Don't mind the mess, I accidentally slung road slurry on the boat last time I had it out. I was not expecting the raved road to end when it did.

Here's the ball "teeth" of a joint:

And here's from the other side of that knuckle to show the sockets (the white stuff is grease):

There's only 12 positions each joint can be rotated to. So I can't really move my screen up/down or to the side. The part my gimbal mount is bolted to is different, I can rotate that as finely as I want.

You'll have a lot more flexibility positioning with the ram mount, but the balzout is sturdier. Either should work. I do need to bring myself to put in another hole to tidy up my wires.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    That looks good! I was almost gunna go with the 9" arm but seeing the pics I probably better go with the 12". Also did you just use the regular flat base mount from ballzout? I saw they offered and angle base mount but figured the regular mount would work. Thanks again for the help!

6. Member
    I used the regular round base.

And as a heads up, my screen is also not quite level (the left side is a little higher than the right) since the area I mounted the base slopes in 2 directions. I could fix that with a thin shim under the base, but it doesn't bother me. A second pair of hands would be nice to make sure everyone is lined up before you start drilling holes. You'll have to make sure it's where you like it since you won't be able to make fine adjustments.

I don't think a 9" arm would fit, you'd need the 12" arm for either ram or balzout.

If you do go with balzout, I'd recommend getting their mounting kit too unless you really want to hunt down the hardware locally. The Allen head machine screws are really nice. You can get those guys real tight without stripping the head.
    Last edited by Rubber_Duck; 01-10-2019 at 08:20 PM.

7. Member
    Next time mounting electronics to your boat check out Geiger tec mounts -WOW!!
    Put them on my boat ..
    2003 Stratos 201 XL Pro
    2005 Mercury Verado 250
    Hds5, Hds9, Hds 9

8. Member
    Ok will do. Thanks again for your help!