Replace Guides on Spinning rod? or Sell It.

How many of you had your spinning rods guide replaced? just because you dont like the way it looks?

I could go from 8 guides to 10 to make it more effective.

Trust me, I have thought about selling it but then it will not attract anyone cuz it's BPS product (Johnny Morris Signature Series II - 6'8 M/XF) and shipping is ridiculous high.

2. Member
    You might as well try replacing them yourself if you really like the blank. What's to hinder?

3. Member
    True, might test that on my broken rod to see if i can do it myself :)

Thanks for the idea ...

4. Member
    It is hard to make replacing them work out on a $ basis as opposed to buying a new one. That is if you are paying someone. If you like the blank go for it. Plenty of stuff on line and check out Mudhole and Flex-coat for tutorials.

5. Member
    I've stripped off and replaced guides on dozens of rods but I've been building rods for a pretty long time. You don't need much equipment or many supplies to just strip and replace guides.

hand wrapper...you can make one yourself if you're even marginally handy
    razor blade or hobby knife
    lighter
    burnishing tool...again you can use a lot of different things to pack the thread, just make sure it's dull. I've used a popsicle stick before but the tool itself cost like $2
    guides/tip, thread, tip glue and thread epoxy

Stripping the guides is the biggest pain in the ass. Take the lighter and heat up the old finish on a guide just a little bit to soften. Take your razor and scrape/cut down the guide foot (this is important, you don't want to nick the blank. Pick at it until you get a loose end and then unravel it. Repeat for all the guides. Pick off as much remaining epoxy with your fingernail. Tip will come off with just a little heat. Depending on the finish of the blank sometimes I'll use a little more heat and a fine scotch brite pad.

Wrap and finish your new guides. Plenty of YouTube videos on how. It's not rocket science.

Now you have everything you need to fix a guide or replace them all. Be careful because once you start building them it can become kind of addictive. You'll need a few more things if you want to build a rod from scratch but not much. I've probably got 40 rods in my boat/basement right now and that doesn't count dozens I've built, fished and sold.