Question Fishing help on Drummond Island Michigan.

My family will be renting a house on Drummond Island in Michigan in July of this year. The house will be right on the water with access to kayaks, and I may bring my canoe as well, not for sure. My question is how is the fishing in that area, and what kind of gear should i bring? I am planning to bring 1 spinning setup and 1 bait casting setup. Also any idea on how much a fishing license for michigan is for a week? Also will I need to purchase fishing licenses for the kids if they want to fish? Also if anyone has ever been or lives around that area, where is a good place to eat if we want to eat out a night. We are also planning a day to Macinac Island. What are some other neat places in the UP that would be fun for the family?
    Thanks for the info.
    Josh

2. Member
    bring more gear. think smallmouth. whatever you throw at'em HOLD ON.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

3. Member
    I can only bring so much in the family car.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub176 View Post
    I can only bring so much in the family car.
    Buy a bigger car.

5. Member
    Dropshot, tubes, spinnerbait, topwater plugs

6. Member
    I would love to buy the wife a new expedition, but we have a focus budget.

7. Member
    Michigan doesn't have a week fishing license. They offer a 24 hour license ($10.00), a 72 hour license ($30.00) and a non-resident annual ($76.00). The price for the 24 or 72 hour license is the same resident or non-resident.

Kids under the age of 17 do not need a license.

As far as eating on Drummond I'm no help there.

There are limited attractions in the Drummond Island area but a couple suggestions would be visiting Tahquamenon Falls (bit of a drive from Drummond), Ostwalds Bear Ranch (also a bit of a drive) and the Les Cheneaux Islands area.

8. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    There is a very good golf course on the island too
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

9. Member
    Which side of the island will you be on - north or south? I’ve only fished the north side, but there are smallies everywhere. You can catch them on just about anything, and will get some when walleye fishing or when pike fishing, or when... get the picture? Both Esther’s and the Northwoods restaurants on the island are pretty good and very reasonable. Some of the bigger cabin rental places like Papins rent small boats with motors. Most of the island is an extensive network of off road trails and you can rent ATVs and side by sides, but they are pricy. If you plan on renting a boat, feel free to PM me for details on where you might want to focus your interest.