Should I be concerned with warranty?

Im going to be buying a new to me Phoenix boat this spring. Im looking at 2016 and up models only. Some of the newer ones of course are still under warranty and can be extended, some of the 16 models expire in a yr with no option to extend. Should I be concerned with having a warranty on the Pro XS250? Im just worried about investing 50k in something only to possible have major engine problems later on. I bought an iClass with Yammie 250 and my second trip out, it kicked 2 rods out of the block...The engine had always been maintained and taken care of....luckily it had 6mos left of YES and Yamaha replaced the engine no questions asked....
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

2. Scraps
    I forget how it works, if you have to commit to extended warranty before the Platinum portion of the Merc warranty is up which for me was two years with five years of gold coverage. That motor may have five years of Gold warranty on it. Wonder if there would be other sources for a warranty.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    I think you have to commit before Plat is up before you get another 5....I could be wrong though. Anglers port marine does have a VERY nice 2015 920 but warranty is up 6-12-2020, which is only 18mos....I had an old Johnson Venom 200 that was still running like a new motor when I sold my Javelin...but that was only an 8k boat when I bought it....Now im looking at 45k min on a nice used Phoenix. Just hate for the same thing to happen twice like it did with the 250 HPDI series 2...
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

4. Member
    platinum is good, get all you can
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Scraps
    Use it as a point of negotiation.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    ^^^^^^^ yep
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Platinum can only be purchased during the original factory 3yr warranty period, once that expires, no Mercury product protection plan can be purchased. Don't know if you can extend Platinum after original warranty expires, someone else will have to verify that.

When you find a boat/engine package you're serious about, get the serial number off the engine and post it in the 3L forum. Any of the pros here can pull engine history from the serial number. Also, if you decide to get Platinum, be sure to get a quote from European Marine and tell them you're a BBC member.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    3L forum is just a couple down the list.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor