Unhappy Head scratcher !!!

My first post on bbc. I`ve read many interesting articles in here from Yamaha guys with crazy good knowledge of these engines.
    I Have a 04 200hp OX66 that is acting up on me. It started with not stopping when I turned ignition off it would idle about 5 seconds not too bad.
    This went on for a while then last tx while idle it stopped abruptly. So tried cranking it and it would spin but not fire up. 15 minutes later fired right up.
    Started heading to landing running about 68mph motor turning 5900 it stopped no sputter just wam shut down. Water on the back almost on seats lol
    Sooo same scenario tried cranking but it took a while to start. Idled in after that. So I`m thinking need a new ignition switch, replaced the panel ignition and
    kill switch. Motor now shuts off like it should and runs perfectly but still stops without warning. Tried it two weeks ago went run the dog piss out of it, hard turns, trim up down, long runs on 1000 rpm never stopped. So I went Saturday made a 20 min run and changed fishing places about 5 times ran perfectly
    so cranked up to come in, before I could get on step it shut off. So I asked a mechanic and he gave me a few things to check harness wire and plugs battery
    wire connections etc. But being so random and not able to pinpoint was wondering if anyone on here experienced this. Sorry for the long post just trying to
    give the history. Thanks in advance

don't use a Lithium battery for a starting battery don't know if you are but it will cause crazy thing like that. Been there and done that. The computer in the battery will cut the charge from the motor and cause the motor stop, for sure with a SHO

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

3. Member
    I would be checking the fuel pump relay.

4. Member
    Funny you should say this. I had a 150 Mercury XRI early fuel injection engine that was doing the same thing when running hard shut off abruptly.
    Had the relay switch bypassed where it would run as long as the ignition was on and never did it again. Good info Brian any suggestions on how to check it??

5. Member
    Also I always run Delco Marine batteries cranking and deepcycle for troll motor.

6. Member
    Best way is to see if you have power at fuel pump when the engine won't start. You should have power for a few seconds after you turn on the key.

7. Member
    Think this might work found an old post by 21XDC back in 2010 when looking for fuel pump relay switch on line. What he described is the exact thing my engine is doing
    So I placed an order Boats.net $225.00 !!!! But one thing is for sure I`ve learned I would not want to buy anything part by part. hope this works

8. Member
    Update replaced relay switch went run it and it ran flawlessly. I guess only time will tell. Thanks Brianmoore for some direction!!!
    This forum is priceless.

9. Member
    Glad it helped out!