Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by v_fourmax View Post
    Sometimes I think that people that live a certain lifestyle or have certain things think that people that do not have those things are "lacking" in the life they live...

...after they are dead and gone who really had the happier life, the guy that constantly pushed more to have newer, bigger and fancier things or the guy that had no stress, was tickled pink to throw the 10 ft jon boat up in his 78 Ford PU and go fishing in the local river and then went home and cooked and cleaned up a bunch of catfish for his families supper.

What makes one man happy may be nothing but a burden to another man.

A fact that's nearly impossible to understand when viewed from an urban bubble...

John... If you're going to be in my part of the state on your trip, hit me up...

Open seat in the boat, any time.
    Who controls John Gill?

2. Member
    I wrote i huge response to this thread but decided not to post, not worth the big arguments it would have caused. Enjoy living wherever you call home.....

3. Member
    What I find interesting is how some that travel through or observe a lower income level rural area automatically jump to the conclusion that the people living there are on the welfare rolls.

I think many of you would be surprised at how many of the people you may work side by side with in your non rural areas are getting free school lunches for their kids, snap card benefits and medicaid (free healthcare) for the kids that are driving a two year old Tahoe and put on the airs they are well off financially.

Those rural people are much more likely to be living within their means and current income levels as they do not care about appearing to keep up with the jones'es. Cannot say the same for many of the urbanites.

4. Member
    What I find interesting is how some that travel through or observe a lower income level rural area automatically jump to the conclusion that the people living there are on the welfare rolls.

I think many of you would be surprised at how many of the people you may work side by side with in your non rural areas are getting free school lunches for their kids, snap card benefits and medicaid (free healthcare) for the kids that are driving a two year old Tahoe and put on the airs they are well off financially.

Those rural people are much more likely to be living within their means and current income levels as they do not care about appearing to keep up with the jones'es. Cannot say the same for many of the urbanites.
    This is true.

5. Member
    No offense meant at all but I fail to see how much diversity there is between Tennessee, Eastern Kentucky and South West Virginia.

6. Member

I think it is pretty evenly spread out if you compare urban and rural areas by capita....I've looked at this pretty closely here in Michigan and it is surprising how high the percentages are in Northen Michigan and the UP...Lack of jobs and no desire to move so they turn to the system..I am sure if you do a by county search of most states the large cities will come out first by capita but the rural areas wont be far behind...I have always lived u the country so not trying to stir the pot but the numbers show that we in the country have almost as high of a percentage seeking assistance as those from the city....Some of the highest welfare states have the least dense populations..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I think it is pretty evenly spread out if you compare urban and rural areas by capita....I've looked at this pretty closely here in Michigan and it is surprising how high the percentages are in Northen Michigan and the UP...Lack of jobs and no desire to move so they turn to the system..I am sure if you do a by county search of most states the large cities will come out first by capita but the rural areas wont be far behind...I have always lived u the country so not trying to stir the pot but the numbers show that we in the country have almost as high of a percentage seeking assistance as those from the city....Some of the highest welfare states have the least dense populations..
    And every area can well be different. I will say the area I live in my monthly living expenses in total including groceries in other areas would not even rent me a small 1 bedroom apartment.

Granted I owe nobody anything and my place to live is long paid for and again I owe nothing other than my normal monthly bills but I also do not drive new vehicles or have a flashy new boat, do not need it and the vehicles and my current boat work for me just fine. But if you were to "judge" me by the age of my tow vehicle or even by the type of boat I prefer these days then I guess maybe you would put me on your welfare roll! lol!

Again just because an area is rural and not chocked full of gated Mc Mansion communities does not dictate the amount of citizens in any given local as being welfare recipients.

I have found in many cases those lower income level down to earth rural people are the type of people I prefer being around.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    No offense meant at all but I fail to see how much diversity there is between Tennessee, Eastern Kentucky and South West Virginia.
    About 100 families a day relocate to this area for work. On any given day there are over 20,000 jobs posted online within 25 miles of metro Nashville. A big difference from some of the areas I travel.

9. Member
    My impression of W Virginia is that LEO's are doing their level best to fund the entire state budget on traffic tickets alone. They had far more of a presence on the roads than any other state I drove through.

10. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    About 100 families a day relocate to this area for work. On any given day there are over 20,000 jobs posted online within 25 miles of metro Nashville. A big difference from some of the areas I travel.
    With Amazon coming it will only get more jobs coming, and more people to fill them.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

well I live in southern wv and its nothing great. me and my wife both work for a living a we do okay. we've thought about moving south especially the east tn area. really would like to be in the Dandridge area.

as far as living here there isn't much around. coal jobs are way less than they was 15 years ago or longer. I commute 45 miles to work because of more opportunity.

to reply to one of the previous comments about welfare there is a lot of people on it here. drugs are very bad and majority of the people here cant pass a drug or they don't want to work. its a nice beautiful state but gets a ton of negative publicity by people that just don't care and wanna do better for themselves!!!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    take care of you and yours or starve to death.....if you think that is not being compassionate I'd hate to see what you actually consider uncompassionate
    I know it's hard for some to understand but enabling someone is actually more uncompassionate than letting them fall. When they fall and realize the only way is up, they get back up and start doing things for themselves that they were fulling capable of all along. When you keep enabling them then they just stay the same and never improve. That sure sounds a lot like Dave Ramsey.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvbassmaster View Post
    well I live in southern wv and its nothing great. me and my wife both work for a living a we do okay. we've thought about moving south especially the east tn area. really would like to be in the Dandridge area.

as far as living here there isn't much around. coal jobs are way less than they was 15 years ago or longer. I commute 45 miles to work because of more opportunity.

to reply to one of the previous comments about welfare there is a lot of people on it here. drugs are very bad and majority of the people here cant pass a drug or they don't want to work. its a nice beautiful state but gets a ton of negative publicity by people that just don't care and wanna do better for themselves!!!!
    I think West Virginia needs to latch on to the tourism industry hard and run with it....The Hiking down there is awesome and I was down riding the Hatfield McCoy trails a couple of years ago and that was a blast....West Virginia is awesome country with awesome possibilities and it is centrally located for the east coast..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

I think West Virginia needs to latch on to the tourism industry hard and run with it....The Hiking down there is awesome and I was down riding the Hatfield McCoy trails a couple of years ago and that was a blast....West Virginia is awesome country with awesome possibilities and it is centrally located for the east coast..
    Zip lines! they are the future!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    A fact that's nearly impossible to understand when viewed from an urban bubble...

John... If you're going to be in my part of the state on your trip, hit me up...

Open seat in the boat, any time.
    Thanks for the offer, and the same if you get this way!

16. Member
    Thing is we are all just here for short time just passing through.

17. Member
    Agree that is something that should be explored.

18. Member
    • "West Virginia has the second lowest per capita income in the country and therefore one of the highest federal Medicaid matching assistance percentage (FMAP) at 73%. For every $1 spent by the state, the Federal government matches $2.55. Over three-fourths (79%) of all federal funds West Virginia receives are for Medicaid. In Calendar Year 2017, the federal match rate for the Medicaid expansion population is 95%."

• I AM NOT "LOOKING DOWN" ON THE PEOPLE OF WEST VIRGINIA!! The fact remains the state as a whole is struggling, as are parts of KY and yes many other parts of America. I was simply commenting on what I see on my travels and how I don't see one simple answer to the issues facing millions of millions of people. We didn't get in this situation overnight and I don't see a solution out overnight.

• I don't see taxing the people into oblivion who are blessed enough to get out and work as the answer. I'd rather be an adult and help who I choose. You are entitled to your own opinion. I was up there getting information on hiring employees. As a small biz person I have to classify positions. The DOL, IRS, and other federal agencies don't use the same classification methods. Nor do states for that matter. It can be a damn nightmare for a person getting started, a costly one if not handled correctly.

• My advice is if you really want to help create jobs, don't wait on Uncle Sam, Exxon, Wal-Mart, etc... Life is too short, take a chance.

Try visiting the west coast. Culture shock is an understatement. I grew up in the Carolinas. Came out to Tustin (near Anaheim) for school when I was in the Marine Corps. Then moved out here to Vegas in 2008. Wow. Took me a few years to acclimate just to the lifestyle and people. Different worlds.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

It happens up here. My wife's ex brother in law used to deliver pizzas as a part time gig ... he had many accounts of delivering to McMansions with new rides in the driveway that had lawn furniture inside as house furniture, people paying a $25 order with ones and change.

A lot of people are enamored with 'stuff' and appearances. He who dies with the most toys leaves the biggest mess.
    Ranting incoherently

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast