Plumbing question

I have an ice machine in my garage. The drain runs through a wall and into the grass in my back yard. It dumps a lot of water and saturates the area. My dogs are making it a mess now.

So here is my question. The plumbing for the drain sits on the bottom of the ice machine. I have a mud sink that is 3 feet away. The plumbing for the sink drain sits 22 inches off the ground. If I ran the ice machine drain to the sink plumbing drain and used a T fitting to splice into the drain.... Will this work. My concern is the water has to go up hill for a few feet.
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

2. Member
    If sink drain is higher at any point you’ll have to pump it. A standard ice machine has 2 drains, one off the mechanical section and one off the bin. The bin drain is typically 3 or 4 inches off the floor. Elevate the ice machine or get the drain to run downhill to a sewer drain or a pump. Depending on the style of ice machine. If it has legs I’ve seen people cut sections of pipe for leg extensions. Just have to be careful doing that as the extra length adds leverage that could break the legs.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

Thanks
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroWhoop View Post
    If sink drain is higher at any point you’ll have to pump it. A standard ice machine has 2 drains, one off the mechanical section and one off the bin. The bin drain is typically 3 or 4 inches off the floor. Elevate the ice machine or get the drain to run downhill to a sewer drain or a pump. Depending on the style of ice machine. If it has legs I’ve seen people cut sections of pipe for leg extensions. Just have to be careful doing that as the extra length adds leverage that could break the legs.
    this and it needs an air gap in it do not plumb it straight into a waste pipe.

5. Member
    Bury a 5 gal pail filled with washed stone.
    Should help get most of the water off the surface. i.e. preventing the mess.

Other option is to elevate icemaker enough you can add a dishwasher drain fitting under the sink but above the trap.

6. Member
    I would look into furnace condensate pump.