Lithium question

Are lithium batteries from different companies compatible. Say you have 3 trolling batteries from one company and a starting battery from another. Can they all be charged from the same charger or are the algorithms different enough that this wouldn’t work. Not sure if this is a stupid question but thought I’d ask. Looking at all the different companies and it seems like Battleborn has the best bang for the buck with their 100ah but thought I read somewhere it wouldn’t start a 250 pro xs. So that means a different brand for a starting battery. Just looking at ways to get the most amp hours for the best price.
    2016 Phoenix 921 pro xp/250 Mercury Pro XS/ 12” Altas Hydraulic/ Ultrex/Solix 15 bow/Solix 15 SI console/10’ Power Pole Blades

2. BBC SPONSOR
    A Battle Born 12v 100ah will NOT start a 250 pro xs. They are amazing trolling batteries.

3. Member
    I have 3 Battleborn 100 amp trolling batteries and the #3110 Lithium Pros cranking battery. I am using the Minn Kota 460 charger that came on my boat set to AGM setting and I have not had a problem with it charging the batteries. The Battleborns will not crank the motor, I talked to Buck and Joe a lot when I was setting up my lithium set up.
    The 3 Battle born 100 amp batteries are a beast as I can fish in heavy wind and use the spot lock on the Ultrex all day and it will not take more than an hour or two to fully charge up. The cranking battery after a tournament day running 2 Solix 12s non stop, the live well with 2 oxygenators non stop it will take about 4 hours to charge. I was told not to plug in the charger when I get home wait until the night before to plug up the charger as lithium batteries don't like to sit fully charged up which is different as I have always come home plug up the charger and unplug it when I hook up the truck to go again.

4. Member
    Donniec--Thanks for the info. This is exactly the set up I was looking at. I also have the same charger and do the same thing. Plug in when I get home and leave it that way until I hook up the boat again. How long have you been running this set up?
    2016 Phoenix 921 pro xp/250 Mercury Pro XS/ 12” Altas Hydraulic/ Ultrex/Solix 15 bow/Solix 15 SI console/10’ Power Pole Blades

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by tmelson View Post
    Donniec--Thanks for the info. This is exactly the set up I was looking at. I also have the same charger and do the same thing. Plug in when I get home and leave it that way until I hook up the boat again. How long have you been running this set up?
    Leaving the charger plugged in with lead acids with a smart charger is fine. I would not leave the charger plugged in with lithium batteries though. Leaving the charger plugged all the time over time could damage lithium batteries. I charge my batteries the night before an outing. This is how I charge mine with a 460 pc set on AGM.

6. Member
    I have had this set up (2018 V-20 Legend) since July 2nd and it does not seem normal not leaving the charger plugged up all the time but I understand the reason why once it was explained to me. The only problem I have had with this set up is even though I have a main cut off switch the 300XS has a draw that is constant. I do a lot of draw tournaments and sometimes I just go with someone else and it only takes about six weeks of not charging the batteries to use and it will be grave yard dead. The Minn Kota
    charger will not charge when the battery gets below .5% charge. I had to get my old charger and put it on the cranking battery for about 30 minutes to get enough charge in it to where the Minn Kota charger would read it. I would not have thought the #3110 Lithium Pro 1500 CCA battery would not have enough reserve to hold for that long. I love the Lithium Pro battery other than that especially on the 10-15 degree mornings it will spin that motor like a top where the Sears PM 1 was sluggish.

7. Member
    Donnie.......I have the same Lithium Pro 3110 in my Legend. Mine will "go to sleep" after about 30 days of no use and I have to briefly plug in a regular hand held 12 volt charger to get it awake. Then I can plug in the on board Stealth charger and it will show full charge very quickly. As in ten to fifteen minutes. It's never actually lost charge when not in use, but it will fall asleep. Kevin at Lithium Pros explained that to me the first time my on board charger wouldn't charge it when I plugged it in.

So is this true with all your lithiums(trollers as well) ? Do you have to wake them up one by one as well?
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-action View Post
    So is this true with all your lithiums(trollers as well) ? Do you have to wake them up one by one as well?
    I have a single 36 volt trolling motor battery from Lithium Pros and it has never failed or shown any bad habits.

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Clyde, how old is your battery now??

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-action View Post
    I have had this problem when I failed to turn my disconnect off and allowed the batteries to be drained. You can also have a similar situation with lead acid batteries. I have Relions.

12. Member
    I do turn off the main switch. When I took the boat to my dealership for my 20 hour service, they checked for any drain on the battery other than the out board by disconnecting the motor from the battery and there was no draw from anything. Conclusion was it was the big motor, now if I let it sit more than a month I just plug up the charger for a hour or so. The 3 trolling batteries did not go down when the cranking battery did. I checked the battery when it went down and it would not register on a voltmeter.

13. Member
    I have three (3) Relion batteries. The cranking battery is a Relion model RB100-HP High Peak 12V Battery and the two (2) trolling motor batteries are Relion model RB100 deep cycle 12V batteries. They are all 100Ah batteries and work great. The high peak RB100-HP engine battery cranks my 2010 Mercury Optimax Pro XS 225 just great. I have been using the 3-bank charger that came on my 2011 Z519 Ranger boat with 3 Deka AGM batteries to charge my Relion lithium batteries and the charger has been working great.

I believe that if I am only charging my lithium batteries to 95%-99% of capacity with my charger set to an AGM battery protocol that it is okay with these lithiums and I'm just leaving some battery usage on the table so to speak.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    250 Mercury V8 Pro XS Four-Stroke/Serial #:2B644590
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V 112LB 45"
    LiveScope LVS34 Plus & Garmin 102SV (Bow)
    LiveScanner Motorized Pole/RyTek Marine Bracket/Garmin LVS34 Plus Xducer)
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live (Driver's Console)
    Precision Sonar Plates, Brackets, and Gimbals
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade
    Email: azhohar@centurylink.net

14. Member
    From a previous post I put up a little while ago.

I was a huge Lithium battery fan for the first couple years. They weigh much less and they charge fast. However over the the past 3 years of tournament bass fishing, I elected to go back to to the traditional 3 12V batteries for my trolling motor and 1 12v for cranking.

Lithium batteries are great but I ran into situation while fishing a 2 day tournament. I was running a single 36V and a single 12v with a onboard charger. I've ran this set up for 3 years with no issues. I noticed on the last day of practice my TM battery lasted only about 2/3 of a day. Got off the water and put in on my standalone 36v charger. Charged it full and checked it 3 times before I unplugged it for the night. Day 1 of the tournament I got about 1/2 day maybe a little over. Managed to work through the day. Repeated the charging steps for day 2. On day 2 I got 1/2 day max.

I was running a single 36V for the trolling motor and a single 12V for cranking. Had a onboard charger as well. My batteries were only 3 ish years old.

I am not bashing using Lithium batteries or Lithium batteries in general. However the initial cost is a bit steep. If you have problems with them when in a tournament situation you can't go to a local store and get 1,2 or 3 replaced very easily. To me its not cost effective yet to be running batteries that cost thousands of dollars to replace them inside of 5 years. Is there a benefit to running them Yes! Does it out weigh the cost? I don't think so. Not yet at least.

Any thoughts from the masses?
    Johnny
    "Short Brown & Round"

Sun Tropic Outdoors & Shooting Team