Thread: yamaha 70 vs 75

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

yamaha 70 vs 75

Looking at getting a new tiller steer jon with 75hp rating. I've always believed in maxing out the HP on a boat, but the 70 comes in at 100lbs lighter than the 75. Would there be a noticeable difference between the 2 with the 1 being so much lighter? The other factor I've considered is flashing. I may or may not ever do it, but the nice thing with the 75 is I could flash it to a higher HP whereas the 70 I don't believe I can.

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    On a boat with a max HP rating of 70, 100 pounds could mean a lot! Personally I’d most likely go with the 70 and save the weight.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    On a boat with a max HP rating of 70, 100 pounds could mean a lot! Personally I’d most likely go with the 70 and save the weight.
    ^^^^ What he said ^^^^

4. Member
    I have a 75 Mercury 4 stroke on a RT178 and the 100 pounds does make a difference and I also have 4 batteries, one in the front. I like the motor and the boat still sits almost level but top speed is usually around 39 but cruising around 25-35 is quite easy. I think I would be happy with the 70 most aluminum boats wit 70-75 hp motors are not speed demons anyway. Your right I could flash the motor but at 39 the boat seems to want to bounce around a little up front, not sure if the boat could handle the extra horsepower the way it is set up now.

5. Member
    My previous boat had a Yamaha F70 and my current boat has a Yamaha F75. I like the 75 much better. The biggest difference is how quick it gets up on plane. The 75 has a much bigger power head than the 70. I'm not really in to speed so that was never an issue for me. I don't even know what the top end speed is on my boat. You would probably be happy with either one, they are both very good motors.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

6. Member
    I had a Yamaha F60 on my last boat. I would get the F70 in a tiller. If you were going with a wheel version I would get the 75. That extra 75# and yourself in the back of the boat will offset the gains of a F75.

7. Member
    Think of it this way: The 70 is a modified 60, and the 75 is a modified 90.........Hole shot, cruise, and WOT will be much better. And, mileage will be same at cruise.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

8. Banned
    100 more pounds in the back, with you in the back also, being it's a tiller.............I'd go with the 70hp. Save $$$, and weight.

9. Member
    I really love my Yammie 70. Quiet, smooth, perfect motor for a small aluminium rig.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

10. #FRB
    I remember looking at the price difference between the 70 and 75hp. That alone would make me choose the 70hp and just make sure it has the correct prop on it. Plus being a tiller the 70hp would probably take less out of you on long runs.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by RichW View Post
    I really love my Yammie 70. Quiet, smooth, perfect motor for a small aluminium rig.
    What SS prop are you running with your 70 Yamaha?
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

The 70 is a 1.0 Liter 4 cylinder single overhead cam and is at the top of the HP range for this series (50,60,70) so I doubt any benefit by flashing the computer.
    The 75 is a 1.8 Liter 4 cylinder double overhead cam and is at the bottom of the HP range for the series (75,90,115) so could be flashed to a 115.
    That being said, the 100 lbs in weight difference would be the determining factor for me, especially in a tiller control.
    Both are great engines, I have the 75 on a pontoon boat and love it.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

13. Member
    ok thanks for the input guys. I haven't priced them out yet so I have no idea what the difference is there, I was just curious. My boss said he and his dad both had the same 17' lunds his with a 75 and his dads with a 70 and his would run circles around the 70, a lot of factors could go into motor settings and props, but I don't know those details.

14. #FRB
    I can see how nearly double the displacement would carry the load way better. And logic would say the block at the bottom of the hp range would last way longer than the block at the top of its hp range.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    100 more pounds in the back, with you in the back also, being it's a tiller.............I'd go with the 70hp. Save $$$, and weight.
    I would agree with this statement.
    IMO, if your going to run a 24v or even a 36v TM and your batteries are up front. Your livewell is mid hull or aft of the front deck. And in the rear of the boat, are you, portable fuel tank, and one cranking battery. Then go with the 75.

But front of boat light. All batteries in the rear, and livewell. Then save that 100 lbs and get the 70. On a tiller it makes a huge difference on weight distribution.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    I would agree with this statement.
    IMO, if your going to run a 24v or even a 36v TM and your batteries are up front. Your livewell is mid hull or aft of the front deck. And in the rear of the boat, are you, portable fuel tank, and one cranking battery. Then go with the 75.

But front of boat light. All batteries in the rear, and livewell. Then save that 100 lbs and get the 70. On a tiller it makes a huge difference on weight distribution.
    the boat I've been looking at has all batteries and livewell in the rear, but it has a large gas tank under the front deck. I like going shallow, so the extra weight in the rear could be a factor, but could also be good. lol, my current boat sits very low in the bow when I'm up front fishing and can never get my trolling motor to go shallow enough. I'd love to shorten my trolling motor by 10". But drafts about 6" at rest with me at the bow, but I feel like my trolling motor sits about 18" under.

First, a trolling motor shop can shorten the trolling motor shaft if it's really that important to you.

Second, I don't know what HP tiller you have now, but that extra 100 pounds will be a lot to move and steer and tilt up and down. That's a lot of extra weight to manage. If it was stick steering or wheel steering, I would probably go with the 75 but a tiller?????? I would go with the 100 pounds lighter motor. On a long run, you will appreciate it.

They are both great motors.... Also, just to throw it out there ----- with what it sounds like you are wanting to do -- have you looked at stick steering? Personally, I would consider front end stick steering with tilt/trim if the water you fish is not real wide open and rough. I had a buddy with an Xpress with Stick steering and that thing was real easy to fish from and would go as shallow as you would ever want to go. Easier to manage and drive too.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    First, a trolling motor shop can shorten the trolling motor shaft if it's really that important to you.

Second, I don't know what HP tiller you have now, but that extra 100 pounds will be a lot to move and steer and tilt up and down. That's a lot of extra weight to manage. If it was stick steering or wheel steering, I would probably go with the 75 but a tiller?????? I would go with the 100 pounds lighter motor. On a long run, you will appreciate it.

They are both great motors.... Also, just to throw it out there ----- with what it sounds like you are wanting to do -- have you looked at stick steering? Personally, I would consider front end stick steering with tilt/trim if the water you fish is not real wide open and rough. I had a buddy with an Xpress with Stick steering and that thing was real easy to fish from and would go as shallow as you would ever want to go. Easier to manage and drive too.
    I've looked at shortening it, but I would have to let it back down everytime I stowed the motor. It would no longer stow properly shortened. I'm running a 50 tiller now with no issues. Most of them come with a steering lock that still allows you to steer, but seems to lock it in for relief when making long straight runs. I'm pretty sold on a tiller at this point. I have 2 small kids and would like to have as much open floor space as I can to allow the kiddos to move freely around. Boat I'm looking at is an 1860 havoc Bass assassin.

19. Member
    Yamaha Performance Boat Test (F70 & F75) with a Zodiac Inflatable Model 550:

Boat Tested Weight: F70 = 1,502 lbs.
    F75 = 1,623 lbs.

Optimum Cruise Data: F70 22.1 mph 2.6 gph 8.5 mpg
    F75 23.9 mph 3.5 gph 6.83 mpg

Wide Open Throttle: F70 37.0 mph 6.0 gph 6.17 mpg
    F75 39.5mph 8.5 gph 4.65 mpg

reference Yamaha website Performance Bulletins (check it out yourseelf)

20. Member
    http://havocboats.com/ba-layout.html

^^ Is it this one? ^^

I saw one on their site, with led cubes on the stern, interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast