Different gear house 150 EFI / 150 Pro XS 4S

Hi. I just switched from a Mercury 150 EFI to a Mercury 150 Pro XS fourstroke.

I know that there is some changes on the gearhouse between the two models such as a water pickup on the nose cone of the Pro XS. Is there any other differences expect that and the gear ratio?

The reason why I am wondering is since I think this new engine cavitate much more easily. It's not a problem, probably I think I'll have to adjust my jackplate to this new engine. But it would be great if anyone had more information about this new gearcase.

Best regards Tobias
    Bassboat: 2018 Ranger Z518 Comanche. Mercury 175hp PRO XS 4S. 6" SlideMaster jackplate. Lowrance Ghost. HDS Live 16" (dash) & 16" (bow). Power Pole Blade 10ft. Li-on batteries.

2. Banned
    I don't see it listed in your signature, are you running the same prop as before? The stiffer gearing will spin up easier/faster. You'd need to step up 1 pitch to offset as the limiter is 200rpm higher on the ProXS. Besides adjusting the jackplate height you can adjust the amount of slip with the PVS plugs, hope that helps.

Hi. I just updated the signature :) I mounted the engine this weekend so I've only tried it twice yet.

However, I stepped up to a Tempest plus 24" from a 23" to compensate for the different gear ratio. I think the PVS plugs are a great tip, I'll try to plug one of those and try it again. However I use the semi-open plugs in the new propeller and I had them in the previous propeller as well.

What I meant with caviation is that the engine cavitates much easier now when I'm going on plane. Before it did not cavitate as much when I was going say 30-35 mph as it does now. I'll have to trim it really low right now but the with different ventplugs it might be another story :)
    Bassboat: 2018 Ranger Z518 Comanche. Mercury 175hp PRO XS 4S. 6" SlideMaster jackplate. Lowrance Ghost. HDS Live 16" (dash) & 16" (bow). Power Pole Blade 10ft. Li-on batteries.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

What size plugs are you running currently? (often solid plugs will work well)

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

What size plugs are you running currently? (often solid plugs will work well)
    Hi. I have the big semiopen plugs since they were provided with the propeller. Just ordered solid ones! 😁

/t

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Plug them up and see how it does.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Does anybody have any experience of top speed performance depending on which plugs that are used? I have not payed too much attention to the plugs since a good friend of mine which is quite skilled in boat performance once said that they did not affect top speed at all. As I mentioned before I've never experimented with different plugs so it will be really interesting to see how I can alter the performance with new plugs.

8. Member
    You wont see any change in top speed at all. Only holeshot will change.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

PVS plugs are used to tune your HOLESHOT (and should not make a discernible difference in top-end performance).

Thanks guys. Will report back in this thread when I have tried the plugs. Just 20 degrees outside so will have to wait for a warm front ��