2010 Yamaha 150 hp choke question

It has a manual choke & a electric choke. Will start with the manual choke connected and pulled out, you can disconnect the manual choke & connect the electric choke & it will not start. Have tried adjusting the electric choke to make sure it is moving the choke the same amount as the manual choke. Any body had this issue or have any suggestions. Thanks

2. Member
    An O ring is used to attach the choke solenoid pull rod to the choke linkage. The O ring gets old and brittle over time and fails. Have you checked and verified that the choke solenoid is pulling the choke plates fully closed when the solenoid is activated?

Not sure what you mean by "connect the electric choke". It should be connected at all times.

3. Member
    The manual choke gives it a small amount of throttle along with closing the choke plates. These engines start much easier if you give it some throttle while using the electric choke.

4. Member
    The manual choke gives it a small amount of throttle along with closing the choke plates. These engines start much easier if you give it some throttle while using the electric choke. x2
    on my 1985 150 I always use the manual choke on the first start of the day with little throttle after that no choke is needed

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianmoore25 View Post
    The manual choke gives it a small amount of throttle along with closing the choke plates. These engines start much easier if you give it some throttle while using the electric choke.
    Excellent point. In other words, after all else fails, follow the directions. lol

Do you have the throttle control as shown in the pic? I can 100% say that the newer throttle control does not advance the throttle with the choke engaged (manually or electrically). My 08 has the newer style. And since the op has a 10 model year its probably newer.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Do you have the throttle control as shown in the pic? I can 100% say that the newer throttle control does not advance the throttle with the choke engaged (manually or electrically). My 08 has the newer style. And since the op has a 10 model year its probably newer.
    I am confused by your comments. The Yamaha 2018 MRP catalog shows (photo below) the latest 703 side mount control box with the fast idle lever. Are you saying that your 2008 control box does not have the lever or that the lever is there but it does not work?

Or are you saying that the fast idle lever is rendered inoperative whenever the choke is engaged?

The latest F150 owner's manual dated 2017 shows the 703 control box and refers to the neutral fast idle lever.

Where is the disconnect?

No fast idle lever on my 6x3.

I could be wrong as to which form of control is "newer". Mine is flushed mounted. My brother has a yammie 115..02 model year and it looks like the one you have posted.

Probably need to figure out which controller the op has.
    Last edited by cwilt; 01-11-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

9. Member
    No fast idle lever on my 6x3.

I could be wrong as to which form of control is "newer". Mine is flushed mounted. My brother has a yammie 115..02 model year and it looks like the one you have posted.

Probably need to figure out which controller the op has.
    You have to push in the center of the control handle (free accelerator button as labeled in you photo). Then move handle as if shifting it into forward. This puts it into throttle only.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianmoore25 View Post
    The actual movement of the choke.. weather by electric or pulling out the knob on the motor does not advance the throttle linkage on my particular model.
    Now, maybe IF the op has the 703 controler it does. But my controller does not. Thats why i said we need to figure out which controller he has.

I use my manual choke with no throttle input to start mine up.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

11. Member
    The actual movement of the choke.. weather by electric or pulling out the knob on the motor does not advance the throttle linkage on my particular model.
    Now, maybe IF the op has the 703 controler it does. But my controller does not. Thats why i said we need to figure out which controller he has.

I use my manual choke with no throttle input to start mine up.
    Yes we do need to know what model motor and control box the OP has. It is a common problem on forums where we don't really know what the problem is, or what model motor has the problem, yet we are asked to help provide a solution to a problem.

You are correct, the 6X3 (705) flush side mount control box does not have a fast idle lever. I believe it has a button in the middle that can be pushed so as to allow the throttle to be advanced while the motor is still in neutral. Does the same thing as what the 703 control box does with the fast idle lever.

12. Member
    Flush mount controller with ignition key on the dash, hot foot installed so no throttle linkage to shift lever.