Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

trading f150 for Tundra

I like my Ford F150 3.5 eb but, I want to switch flavors. I have had one since 2013 and like the Tundra. Any big differences in 2017 vs 2018/19 models. Just be pulling the old Skeeter FX. I may regret it but will see. I like all the new trucks hard to pick one.

Starting in 2018 they have the fancy new sensors for collision detection. Otherwise, should be pretty much the same.

3. Member
    I recently bought a new truck and went with the 2019 RAM the truck is pretty awesome if you have not looked at one I would suggest it. The Tundra has not changed much since 07 they are great trucks though. The Tech in the RAM and the size of the crew cab are what sold me.

4. Member
    Don’t think you’ll regret the tundra

5. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    I recently bought a new truck and went with the 2019 RAM the truck is pretty awesome if you have not looked at one I would suggest it. The Tundra has not changed much since 07 they are great trucks though. The Tech in the RAM and the size of the crew cab are what sold me.
    Have to admit I agree with this...am an F150 guy but was impressed with the 2019 RAM when my wife and I were looking a couple months ago.

Tundra lost me on gas mileage, can get more power with better mileage. And the lack of updates, not paying 2018 money on a 2007 truck with a couple minor changes.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post

Tundra lost me on gas mileage, can get more power with better mileage. And the lack of updates, not paying 2018 money on a 2007 truck with a couple minor changes.
    This sums it up right here
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

7. Member
    I can agree with this. I will take a look but, man I don't like the looks of the Ram. I like the denali's with the big motor to.

8. Member
    If you do trade, give Serra Toyota in Decatur a shot. Local raised guy is dealership GM and there have been TONS on people from our area buy from him. I you want, PM me and I will give you his name.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

Think Tundra gets updated next year. 2020. Talk of new trans. and maybe more efficient fuel ing.
    It’s definitely due. Love my Sequoia
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

10. Member
    The gas mileage and the archaic (Although reliable) 5 speed transmission are in desparate need of updates. Great truck but will be holding out until they improve the gas mileage on an otherwise great truck.

11. Member
    Best resell value of any full sized truck on the market.

12. Member
    The Ram has several different looks. I am a big fan of the sport package, I didn't like all the chrome. I also stayed away from the air ride and the e-torque. Get 20 mpg highway with the Hemi

your going backwards

I did the same thing a few years ago. kept the tundra year and half. just didn't like it. good truck but not for me!!

14. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    The Ram has several different looks. I am a big fan of the sport package, I didn't like all the chrome. I also stayed away from the air ride and the e-torque. Get 20 mpg highway with the Hemi
    I really liked the looks of the blacked out versions, that is what I was trying to get.

Co-worker just got one with the e-torque and loves it, none that I test drove had it.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvbassmaster View Post
    your going backwards

I did the same thing a few years ago. kept the tundra year and half. just didn't like it. good truck but not for me!!
    I trade an F150 Lariat for a Tundra Platinum. While it was a solid truck it just rode rough and fuel mileage was pretty bad. Pretty much 12mpg all the time, towing or empty. Best I ever got in the two years I owned it was 13.8. I traded it in on a RAM Laramie and am happy so far.

16. Member
    I got a 2017 Tundra Limited Crew Cab and love the truck. I get 12.8 towing my 19ft Champion and 16 going back and forth to work. It has sensors on all 4 corners and cross traffic sensor when in reverse. I have the TRD dual exhaust cat back muffler system and the low rumble when accelerating is sweet. I knew the gas mileage wasn't going to be great going into it, but with Toyota's reputation for low maintenance and high resale value, that wasn't going to deter my decision for my third Tundra.

My 2012 Crew Max gets 14 around town, 12 towing the boat, 16 on the highway regularly, and I saw 18 on a trip to Red Lake to go ice fishing where I was driving 65 about the whole time and temps were about 15 degrees. It's got a front end lift and oversized tires, the latter of which will be gone when they wear out - bought it that way, wouldn't have done it myself but not worth the expense of throwing them out or removing the lift. I expect a 1 mpg improvement or so when I put normal tires on it, but it's whatever. 1 mile per gallon takes a long time to make up for anything.

The Tundra is not the best looking, riding, or mpg-getting truck out there. But I didn't buy it for the gas mileage or features or a smooth ride down the road (I would've bought a hybrid luxury SUV if that's what I wanted...just me), I bought it because I have no doubt that it will run for 200k without thinking about having problems if I choose to keep it that long, then fetch me more than it should when it comes time to sell. The gas mileage I get is about 1 mpg less than buddies' trucks of other brands get. If that's gonna stop you or you want more gadgets, by all means choose the other brands. Could the Tundra use updating? Absolutely. But damn if they're not as reliable as they come (and please know that I'm not saying there has never been a problem with a Toyota ever), and there's a reason they hold their value so well. Just my $0.02...doesn't matter to me if anyone else thinks it's the right choice for them, definitely was for me.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    My 2012 Crew Max gets 14 around town, 12 towing the boat, 16 on the highway regularly, and I saw 18 on a trip to Red Lake to go ice fishing where I was driving 65 about the whole time and temps were about 15 degrees. It's got a front end lift and oversized tires, the latter of which will be gone when they wear out - bought it that way, wouldn't have done it myself but not worth the expense of throwing them out or removing the lift. I expect a 1 mpg improvement or so when I put normal tires on it, but it's whatever. 1 mile per gallon takes a long time to make up for anything.

The Tundra is not the best looking, riding, or mpg-getting truck out there. But I didn't buy it for the gas mileage or features or a smooth ride down the road (I would've bought a hybrid luxury SUV if that's what I wanted...just me), I bought it because I have no doubt that it will run for 200k without thinking about having problems if I choose to keep it that long, then fetch me more than it should when it comes time to sell. The gas mileage I get is about 1 mpg less than buddies' trucks of other brands get. If that's gonna stop you or you want more gadgets, by all means choose the other brands. Could the Tundra use updating? Absolutely. But damn if they're not as reliable as they come (and please know that I'm not saying there has never been a problem with a Toyota ever), and there's a reason they hold their value so well. Just my $0.02...doesn't matter to me if anyone else thinks it's the right choice for them, definitely was for me.

You are right about the reliability of the Tundra, but if I dont have the options that I like and a good ride I just cant seem to keep a vehicle long enough to worry about that.
    The resale is partly due to the fact that Toyota doesnt offer the rebates that other brands due. I think this really helps with resale values in the long run.

19. Member
    I have a car for a daily driver. I just drove my buddy's with his boat hooked Saturday. It just seemed like a beast. Even compared to my eccoboost. Now I like my Ford not a bad word about my 2012 or my 2015. I just wanted a little change. I see a couple 17 limited Tundra's at decent price I may see if we can traded.

20. Banned
    It always amazes me how many people gripe about mileage and ride when buying a truck. I personally like trucks that ride like trucks and don't need fancy features or air bags to level it out when it has a load behind it. Stock suspension should be good all the way around.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast