Thread: Taking on water

Taking on water

Hey guys I need some help. I have a 2009 stratos 201 XL. I notice every time I come off plane the bilge pumps come on and run for 5-10 secs. I can’t find where the water is coming into the hull at. Never comes on while fishing but every time I come off plane it does. Seems to be coming in high on the transom somewhere because I have water in my battery trays. Today I filled the bottom of the hull full of water to see if was leaking from the bottom but couldn’t find any water leaking out. Also pulled all batteries out and checked hoses. They seemed to be fine. It’s not come over the top of the transom because carpet is always dry. I have a ladder on the transom but I can’t imagine that much water coming in there. Anyone else had this problem? Any helps would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Member
    I have a 2007 200 pro xl that was taking some water around the drain plug. I took about .5 gallons per hour.

I'd guess you need to reseal your rub rail as your taking on water when the back wake catches the boat (if your not getting any water anywhere while not running)
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

4. Member
    ^^^^this.
    The underside of the rubrail on the back will catch water and do this when planing, coming off plane and running at slow speeds. Take the end caps off, pull out the insert for the back 6-8’, pull the screws and remove the rub rail. Seal it back with good marine silicone and reinstall.
    Dont try to just seal it from the outside with a bead of silicone. It won’t last and it looks bad.

Yep, it's likely your top cap has separated in the rear and the rub rail seal has broken. You will need to pull the rub rail and get it fixed properly.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

similiar boat, same issue, click on link and read all replies (2 pages) , also picture included... http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=945800

7. Member
    That's my 200 linked above. I pulled my rub rail and it greatly helped. My bildge was kicking on every hour, I fished all day yesterday and it never kicked on. Pulled the plug at the end of the day and there were a quart or so in there. I think I could do a little more sealing at the rub rail in the very back and eliminate water entry entirely. Also, I used 4200 sealant, which worked really good.

8. Member
    I helped a buddy and when he put it in reverse i had the bilge door open and could see the water entering through the rubrail. Common issue on the Stratos. Removed Jackplate, rubrail, and sealed it up. No water issues after that.

9. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Well, I found my leak problem after reading this.

Thanks, guys!
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    Well, I found my leak problem after reading this.

Thanks, guys!

11. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel