Drain Hole - Triton Tx21

I have used the starboard live well on my boat for storage like the original owner did. The previous owner had a black rubber plug in the black hole in the bottom. While cleaning today, I saw that there was about 3" of water in there. Apparently, the black rubber plug had come out. I am guessing that water came in through that hole.

There are 2 other pipes near the bottom of the live well that have rubber stoppers in them. Their are 2 other pipes at the upper part of the live well that you can turn off. There is also a large overflow drain.

When I took the boat out of the lake, the water didn't drain out. You can pump out some of the water by turning on the "Pump Out" starboard switch.

If the water came in through this hole, why won't it drain out? Could it be plugged up? Or does it serve some other function?
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

2. Member
    The hole at the bottom is the drain. The large hole up top is the overflow. Water can come in through the overflow whenever you launch or backup. It won’t be a whole lot but it will happen. The pump out is located lowest in the wells and the other are your recirculating pumps. Hope this helps
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

3. Member
    That's what I thought. Why isn't the water draining out through that bottom hole?
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

4. Member
    Rayzor check and see if there is a plug in drain hole at the transom . Should have a drain on each side of main boat drain. If no plug in hole take a airhose and gently blow some air througt the line. Look in the livewell and see if you cleared the obstruction. Hope this helps

5. Member
    Like pitboss said it probably cam in through the overflow when backing up.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stl196 View Post
    Like pitboss said it probably cam in through the overflow when backing up.
    I poured some water in there and it drained out. I don't know how it came in through the overflow after all of these years, but it makes the most sense.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

7. Member
    If you back up hard it will push water into the drain fitting all the way into the livewell.