Took the boat to Billington Sea in Plymouth MA

Got on the water about 12:30. Left the launch and fished the south / eastern side of the lake and found nothing. Decided to drive around and scan. The northwest pocket in the lake was significantly warmer than anywhere else. Water temp rose from about 36*/37* up to around 40*/41*. The warmer water was much shallower and still had vegetation. Ran a flat side squarebill there and caught my first bass of 2019 and 2 monster pickerel. Caught all 3 within 30min in the warm water. Unfortunately by the time I found it, it was starting to spit rain/snow and was getting dark. I'll definitely visit that lake again
    Last edited by jprovencher80; 01-06-2019 at 06:49 PM.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

2. Member
    Nice! I'll be headed down there sometime soon. My friend lives down that way, he took me to Mashpee a few weeks ago but Billington Sea was another spot he said we could hit that would also cut 30 miles off of the trip. Place looks cool from satellite images, looking forward to getting down there in the next week or two. Unless the CT River is still open this weekend...

3. Member
    Drive wasn't horrible. Took about an hour and a half. Worth it for open water!
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

Glad you got out. Thanks for the report
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

5. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    I grew up fishing Billington and you wouldn’t believe how much better it used to be than it is now. I would suggest taking the extra 30-45 minutes and fishing the Cape this time of year. Billington still has some decent fish but it’s usually a rat fest these days. Either way it’s still a good place and make sure you don’t run in the back right cove if you go there. There’s a few rock shoals and massive boulders that aren’t marked in the middle of the cove

you were smart to get out when you could, looks like some cold nasty ice making weather all this week.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdnckYnkee250 View Post
    I grew up fishing Billington and you wouldn’t believe how much better it used to be than it is now. I would suggest taking the extra 30-45 minutes and fishing the Cape this time of year. Billington still has some decent fish but it’s usually a rat fest these days. Either way it’s still a good place and make sure you don’t run in the back right cove if you go there. There’s a few rock shoals and massive boulders that aren’t marked in the middle of the cove
    Probably be alone in thinking this way, but at this time of the year, I'd rather go out and bend the rod on a dozen rats than 1 big fish. Give me something to do to keep me moving and keep me warm.

8. Member
    You guys, stay out of our ponds...... Jane and I fished TX's on that pond and it was always a good pond. Humps in the section to the right were good in the spring.. ( I know this is winter) and in the south shore to the right too.
    Almost tipped a boat over in that pond about 17 years ago...der ? Best of luck to all you guys....