Repairing Holes in Skeg

2014 Pro XS 250 with torque master case. Previous owner installed a skeg guard. There is no skeg damage. Now the skeg has two holes drilled in it where the guard was mounted. I have questions. Do the guards hurt speed? I have heard they take away a couple MPH. If I leave the guard off, what are my options for filling the two holes left from mounting the guard? Or should I even worry about fixing/filling the holes?

2. Member
    I'd use JB Weld Alumnaweld.
    It can be molded to fit in the holes, should hold weld as it will bond to the skeg. The JB Weld is grey so you can get black mercury paint if you wish and touch up the spots or even repaint the skeg with a Mercury black spray can of paint from either Mercury of BP or Colorrite.
    Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!
    Dennis

3. Member
    marine tex works/ try 3.0L SECTION
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I would leave the skeg guard on and go fishing. Any loss of mph is if any is absolutely minimal but well worth it for the long term protection it offers.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to post in the 3L section- including engine info and a picture of the gearcase.

I've personally never seen a skeg guard built for the Torquemaster Skeg.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor